Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi ShadoRyder:

It still makes no sense...and there is no way to track this.

We use a joint account. The mortage is paid out of this. Who's to say that it isn't my portion of whats put in the joint account that pays the mortgage, and her portion that pays the other bills? And what if we decide to switch it around next year, still using the joint account? See the conundrum? If you decide not to get married (for our reason to know alone) but decide you want to handle finaces for the most part as if you are, there is no way around being forced to split the deduction. Yet, I don't see any way the government can tell me who's money out of a joint account is paying for what.

How could it not make sense? The person who is liable for AND PAYS the interest and taxes gets to take the deduction!!!!

The conundrum is that as far as the IRS is concerned if you pay from a JOINT account then both of you actually paid the interest and taxes and therefore you will have to SPLIT the deduction. That is how it is tracked. Unless you are proactive in paying as posted previously.

About the being married part. You want the tax benefits of being married without the penalties. You failed to mention whether the one who doesn't get to itemize will forfeit the $4700 single standard deduction??? I thought not!! AHH the best of both worlds. Unlike anything a married couple can get away with.

cjbb

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.