No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Stoffel, and welcome aboard!

If I read you right, you are trying to determine how to value the future guaranteed payments for your wife's Teacher's Pension.

One way to do it is to discount the present value of future funds. If her pension is of the government type, I would use a low discount of say 6%. In effect, you would be treating this as a type of bond income.

For example:

If she's still working and you know that if she retired today, she would receive "x" dollars per year, then the present value would be (x/.06) I assume that the longer she works, the better the pension gets, so you'll want to update this yearly until retirement.

So if she retired today, and would receive 30,000 per year, then the present value of this future income stream would be:
30,000/.06 = 500,000

If the pension was coming from a source other than the govmt, I would discount it a bit higher, depending on the company.

Not to bring up an awkward issue, but you should both have an idea of what the income stream would be like if "something" happened to one of you. If the pensions cease because of a death, you'd want to have enough insurance to cover that lost income steam.

Sorry, didn't mean to go there, but it's just as important.

Again, welcome!

Landog
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.