Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Swing4TheFence88,

I understand the confusion. There is more going on in the background.

Our living expenses have increased over the years since 2005.

I started SSA at 62 in 2012. DW started SSA Spousal on a Restricted filing at her FRA 4 1/2 years later. She started on her benefit last fall.

I took a buyout on my small pension in 2015. I lost my supplemental payments (really tiny) to bankruptcy last year. DW started her pension.

Net result our income increased while inflation increased our expenses along with just, well, increasing our expenses! I do exclude charity from our expense number though. We donate about 20% of our gains through the year as our portfolio hits new highs so it is not a set amount.

The net result is our cash needs do reduce somewhat.

The actual cash flow from our portfolio increased. Using a level base, our dividends have increased every year since retiring.

"I have loosely figured that at around $100-$150/share it is the tipping point where it would make sense to sell, pay my cap gains taxes and reinvest in my desired core holdings."

I hope you don't mean sell-out.

Rather than do that, I suggest your do a little trim, 5% or 10% of the position. Move that either to a dividend payer or a different growth stock. If you don't need the cash flow and you have 5 or more years to go, I would put it in growth.

When you look at position sizes, I would look at investments in securities rather than net worth. In general, pieces of your net worth like rental units are illiquid vs securities so they aren't an "equal" asset.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.