Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

Thanks for all the great help! Here's my situation. My husband received a ATT card 0% transfer rate for 1 year. I was planning on paying of my Citibank (currently at 11%) ...but after reading the fine print I realize I CAN'T use ATT to pay CITIBANK....
Soooooo Should I transfer the CITIBANK to DISCOVER ...just for a week or two and then use the ATT to pay off DISCOVER??

Will ATT get wise to my devious ways?

thanks!
Liz

Liz,

I've done things like this. And yes, go ahead move the debt to Discover for a week, then use the ATT to pay the Discover. It's one very effective way of reducing the interest. Would they catch on? probably not. I am under the impression that credit card companies who play the 'balence transfer' interest rate game count on the fact that many people don't have enough credit avaliable on another card to move the debt.

Besides.. it's just makes financial sense to go with the better offer. I'm to the point where I look for anything below 10% APR for the life of the balence. The short term teasers often end up in the shreddar. I've become very selective in the offers I choose.. consequently.. I've been getting better and better offers.

Duane
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.