Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi there!

I have to say that most of my lunches are leftovers, but here are some of my favorite sandwich fillings:

1. Chickpea (garbanzo) salad. Mash together a cup of cooked (or a 15-oz can)chickpeas; about 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise; 1 stalk celery, finely diced; 1/2 teaspoon onion powder; 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; salt and pepper to taste. Other yummy additions are chopped scallions and dijon mustard.

2. "Eggless" egg salad. Same idea as above, but using firm tofu instead of chickpeas.

3. Lentil pate:

1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup walnuts
2 T olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. paprika
1 t. mild chili powder
2 T minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 t. soy sauce
olives
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Toast walnuts in oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Saute onion, garlic, paprika, and chili powder for 10 minutes; scrape sauteed mixture into blender or food processor. Add the walnuts and parsley, and puree until smooth. Then add the lentils and soy sauce and puree some more. Scrape mixture into a bowl, add olives if desired, and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.

4. Marinated broiled tofu. I make up a batch or two at the beginning of the week and keep it in the fridge for salads and sandwiches. Just drain and press the tofu and slice it into thin squares, then coat with sauce and cook under the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side. Good sauce choices:
--Barbeque (bottled or homemade)
--Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
--basic stir fry sauce: 3 T. soy sauce, 1 t. sugar, 1 t. balsamic vinegar, 1 t. grated fresh ginger, 1 t. minced fresh garlic, 1/2 t. roasted sesame oil
--Teriyaki sauce
--Curry sauce: 3 T. vegetable oil, 1 1/2 t. curry powder, 1 1/2 t. sweetener (maple syrup, or honey if your dietary guidelines permit), 1 1/2 t. soy sauce.

Looking forward to hearing other suggestions--and by the way, I'm very happy to have found this board!

RW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.