Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi there J435

It would be a big mistake to withdraw the money from your commercial bank IRA directly. It would incur full tax and penalty for age less than 59 1/2. You can do an IRA rollover from your commercial bank IRA to a new IRA with another trustee, either a mutual fund like Vanguard or Fidelity, or a discount broker like E-trade or Scottrade. First select the place you want to move to, then get the paper work from the new trustee for a Rollover. Fill it out, sign it and have it notarized, then send it to your selected new trustee. They will assign you an account number and send the demand for funds to your old commercial bank trustee. This will effect a direct trustee to trustee transfer of funds, that is not subject to tax or penalty. The name of the game here is that if you get your hands on the money, you have only a very limited time to get it to the new account before Uncle grabs a big chunk. Do it the safe way. Let the trustees handle it for you. After that you direct your trustee to buy what ever investment vehicle you chose. That can be computer online trade or offline with your telephone as you choose.

Fool on there J435fool

The Nerdifool
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.