Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Vitalius,

I'm concerned about this statement:

"Also he said he could not send me written details of this Rehabilitation Program just a paper to sign saying yes i want this..."

I would not agree to anything that is not in writing. Collection agencies are allowed to say anything to get you to commit. Always, always, get it in writing.

Which brings me to my next point: Write, don't call, the DOE. Explain everything to them, spare no details about dates of when you applied for deferment, what your employment history has been, etc. Then ask them how to go about straightening this out without using the collections service. In most cases, they will point you to repayment options to help with your current situation.

Final point: keep up searching for a job. If you are making any kind of income, then you will at least have an idea of how much you can afford to pay back.

now paying back student loans that were deferred for 5 years.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.