Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the link. DW and I have been digitally filing for at least the past 20 years or so. We scan, catalog and then eventually purge the physical documents. We are also Quicken fanatics, and our Quicken data file has all of our financial activity (across all accounts and assets that we have owned) since 1983. We know our basis for our IRA's with the click of a mouse.

We don't use the cloud much, and we don't really trust any of the cloud services so we manage our digital data ourselves.

Our data is stored on a RAID-1 NAS device on our at-home network. This device gives us access to all of our data (documents, pictures, videos, songs, etc.) on all of our devices throughout our home. The unit has built in redundancy in the event of a hard drive failure. The NAS has 2 disk drives that "mirror" each other, so when we store any document, it is stored identically on the second hard drive. So, while this protects us against a hardware failure, it doesn't protect us from robbery, floods, fire or other natural disasters.

That's where our "off-site" backup comes in. Every week, I break out the hard drive that I store "off-site" and do a full disk to disk copy with a full compare operation to ensure that what was copied to the backup drive is fully captured accurately. In the event of a catastrophic situation, at most we will lose one week of work.

We've been doing this for at least the past 10-15 years and this has worked out well for us. We store all of our financial records, the records of the company that I owned back in the 90's, over 10,000 songs, all of our home videos that we digitized years ago, and all of our family pictures that we digitized a while back as well.

We were recently going through some old tax folders and realized that the copies that the accountant took of our tax returns back in the early 80's were on the old thermographic copy paper and were slowly fading away. We were able to scan those docs as well and I had to run them through an image enhancement process in our scanner software to make them a bit more legible.

I recommend having more than one copy of your digital records in multiple places.

Good Luck!
'38Packard
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.