No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi yskesa,

I got caught in a similiar situation 2 years ago when I made full contributions to a Rost and a non-deductible IRA. A tax professional can assist you in undoing this mess, but here is the gist of what I found out in my own situation:

You can't "transfer" any of the money from your Roth to your spouse's Roth. Instead you have to "remove" all of the excess contributions from your Roth and pay some penalties to the IRS. If you haven't contributed the full amount to your Roth in any of the past years since you "over-contributed", you may be able to "re-characterize" some of the excess contributions from previous years to fill in the missing contributions, even for the current year. However, you will still have to pay the IRS penalties for the years and amounts when there was excess contributions in the account.

As I said in the beginning, best to get professional help. The penalties will probably only be a couple of hundred dollars.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.