No. of Recommendations: 5
You know I have never given this much thought on traveling. Have you? Why on earth would people agree to accepting cameras anywhere on the premises to begin with? Regardless, from the owners point of view, perhaps(to some)there is some merit regarding security and theft control. Not for me. I think I will start paying more attention from now on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/03/what-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Another place I eyeball for cameras is when I am going to use my laptop (in a restaurant, hotel lobby, whatever). I'm sort of paranoid about having my login information videoed.

Jeff
Very few, if any, cameras used for security, have enough resolution to make out fine details of any screen, much less the text at odd angles, so I would be concerned. On the other hand, open wifi, that might be more hazardous long term. Never had an issue, but..
No. of Recommendations: 4
In a previous lifetime, I was tasked with creating a portable video surveillance system for emergency workers with one of the germaine specifications being to be able to read a driver's license at 25 feet. We used a good quality, but standard (Sony, I think) PTZ camera - and that was over a decade ago. So, while it's true that the junk that small stores tack up on their walls might not have the resolution, the commercial ones which hotels are likely to use very likely could read your screen (or at least your keystrokes.

And yes, open Wi-Fi is a concern. I strongly advocate using using a VPN as well as two factor authentication whenever it is available.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 2
Those high res;ution systems get pricey, real quick, way above our consumer grade, but what I see here in shops n such are pretty crappy, maybe even right out of the local best Buy...

Polarized screen protectors is another thought, narrows the viewing angle nicely...

I remember searching for an Internet Cafe in Naples and other spots in Italy years ago, an almost tough search, unlike today's smart phones, just to send simple notes back home, check email.. Scary!

Best solution is to just always be aware of your surroundings...
No. of Recommendations: 3
Really surprised the main point here isn’t being discussed. Cameras in rentals, Airbnb, hotels even b&b’s. Lot of perverts out there. When was the last time you went into a room of any of the above and checked? Never occurred to me and what to look out for?
Paranoid, perhaps!
Really surprised the main point here isn’t being discussed. Cameras in rentals, Airbnb, hotels even b&b’s

How about just put a piece of tape over the lens? Move a potted plant or piece of furniture so that it blocks the camera's view?

🤨
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
In outside areas, yes, fine, whatever.
That protects both you and the homeowner.

Common rooms, not-so-much.
bedrooms/bathrooms- absolutely not.

I do check.

peace & peeping
t
There are perverts everywhere. About 10 yrs. ago, in my town, there were two neighbors, 1 female, the other male. The male was friendly and ever so helpful in helping the female with things that needed fixing in the house. He was so helpful that he connected a camera to her bedroom and bathroom, so he could watch her. Somehow she discovered the cameras.

There are creeps everywhere...even friendly and helpful ones.

Lucky Dog
I was staying in an airbnb on the Big Island, Hawaii, (in the neighborhood of HPP near Pahoa, for those of you familiar with the island), and discovered an all seeing camera on the wall. It was not disclosed in the owner's description of his place, and it was perfectly concealed as a smoke detector. I took close up pics of it when he was out, went online and easily found it by the pics and the make and serial no. that were on it, and it WAS a smoke detector, but with the addition of camera.
It's focus was in the Kitchen/Living-room area. So, not the bedroom, but this was a place with a large room with a double bed and a private bathroom in the room -- so, a place that couples would definitely want to stay. And he was gone most all days, so the fact that the whole house was empty all day, with a couple there alone he could easily capture video of them that he had no business having access to.

I took the situation to Reddit/airbnb and asked what people thought. Many thought I should majorly complain and report it to airb immediately and seek to shut him down. I didn't have that sense of damaging retaliation, and, in the end, I let it go. I did ask airb questions about the specifics of the situation and what they would recommend -- but airbnb will ALWAYS overwhelmingly favor the Hosts, and not the visitors, as the Hosts represent their steady flow of income, and a Guest's complaints are seen as threatening their profits. So, in just beginning to inquire about their rules about it, I could see immediately that it would go nowhere with them unless I turned it into a huge formal complaint to get them to address it. I didn't want to ruin the guy's situation. If it had been hidden in the bedroom, then yes, absolutely! - but not for what he had going there to watch over the general 'common areas'. I do think that he should have been required to have posted it though - to have let the Guests know that the common areas were potentially on camera.

nl
Whenever I am out of my home and using a laptop, tablet or phone, I always make a serious attempt to sit where it is unlikely that the keyboard/screen will be picked up by a camera.

Jeff