Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Greetings Fools:

Hope any of you that were in the path of Hurricane Jaun are safe and sound. Don't know if Jammer has returned north or not and Skandy is on the East side of the Rock. How are you guys doing? Anybody else from the region with us?

How about dropping us a line to let us know how you survived the Great Storm of 2003.

Keeping my fingers crossed you are all fine...

Bob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 8

Greetings Fools:

Hope any of you that were in the path of Hurricane Jaun are safe and sound. Don't know if Jammer has returned north or not and Skandy is on the East side of the Rock. How are you guys doing? Anybody else from the region with us?

How about dropping us a line to let us know how you survived the Great Storm of 2003.

Keeping my fingers crossed you are all fine...

Bob

HI all, just got my electricity back.
The city is a bloody mess, thousands of mature trees down everywhere. The loss of life was thank heavens relatively small, five that we know of. Two crushed by trees (inclding a Paramedic whose ambulance was destroyed) and a woman and her two kids killed when there house was destroyed by what is suspected to be an unattended candle. The harbour brings tears to your eyes with hundreds of boats piled up on shore or masts sticking up from the water.
My own house had little damage, lost one of my trees snapped in two, a bit of siding ripped, the rain cover off my chimney and my BBQ cover disappeared. I will have to throw out some food from my refridgerator but the freezer held out.

All in all, could have been worse. There are still over 100 K people with no power.

I am on a mission to rename Hurricanes with male names to Himicane.

:-)

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Tim:

Glad to hear you are safe. You are obviously one of the lucky ones if you have power again. I have been following all this on the news and they were saying that it may be the weekend before a lot of people get connected again, especially if they lost the lines to their residences. Kinda make one wonder why all these hydro line aren't put underground.

We had to chuck some food after the blackout in August, but not much at all. We were luck to have a neighbour who's son brought her over a generator so we put some frozen stuff in her chest freezer. Don't take any chances with the food though. Throwing some out is a small price to pay for the familie's safety.

Stay well

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 4
Just got electricity back a few moments ago here in Truro, many still don't have it...most stores if open are out of propane or ice completely. Drove to Amherest yesterday for some ice...probably didn't have to go that far, but no gas lines or lines at Tim Horton's. The line in Tim Horton's yesterday was over an hour long all day...only one out of about fourteen from the area open. Most requested info heard was where are the gas stations that are open and number two was which Tim Horton's are. Some parts of Truro are a mess. Amherst was unscathed.

Three telephones in the house and all failed an Eastlink and two Roger's cell phones...most with MT&T had phones working properly. Local radio station out until late yesterday. Excellent weather for this afterwards though...not too hot and not chilly at all. We got lucky and had no property damage, not even a shingle missing. Camping gear came in awfully handy. Of course I wouldn't be as cheery about it if I was someone sustaining even minor damage.

Duane
No. of Recommendations: 0
Good news Duane!

By the By... Eastlink... Is that the internet based phone service?

Bob
Howdy:

Glad to hear you guys are okay.

Wayne
No. of Recommendations: 3

Just got electricity back a few moments ago here in Truro, many still don't have it...most stores if open are out of propane or ice completely. Drove to Amherest yesterday for some ice...probably didn't have to go that far, but no gas lines or lines at Tim Horton's. The line in Tim Horton's yesterday was over an hour long all day...only one out of about fourteen from the area open. Most requested info heard was where are the gas stations that are open and number two was which Tim Horton's are. Some parts of Truro are a mess. Amherst was unscathed.

Three telephones in the house and all failed an Eastlink and two Roger's cell phones...most with MT&T had phones working properly. Local radio station out until late yesterday. Excellent weather for this afterwards though...not too hot and not chilly at all. We got lucky and had no property damage, not even a shingle missing. Camping gear came in awfully handy. Of course I wouldn't be as cheery about it if I was someone sustaining even minor damage.

Duane

Duane,
Congrats on the no damage, I am still trying to figure a "safe" way to put the top back on my chimney. LOL on the Tim Horton's, we gave up and used our fondue burner to make coffee. The Industrial Park and the few downtown Tim's that opened caused major traffic jams of people lined up. The phone story is interesting as two of my neighbours were over using my MTT phone (one had eastlink, the other only had a cordless phone to go with her Eastlink :-(. The one with the cordless was pitifully unprepared and to add insult works for Maritime Life and was trying to find out about her job. The Eastlink problem seems to be with their amplifiers. A bunch of Eastlink vans started running around hooking up generators to poles and suddenly their phones started working.

I was somewhat disappointed with how unprepared a lot of people were. I had 8 flashlights, 12 chemlight (glowsticks), lots of batteries, a full tank of gas, two $8 walmart phones and a batterie powered radio, many were running around trying to fill up their gas tanks the first day
:-(. Nova Scotians are used to nasty winter storms but completely underestimated a force two hurricane. The saddest part (to me) was the death of a young woman and two of her three children due to (what is suspected to be) unattended candle. Candles are I suppose romantic but very dangerous, especially around children.

I haven't heard from Jim (JammerH) yet, but the universites and Libraries where he gets his puter time are all closed, so no surprise.

My brother in Law is Supervisor of "The Public Gardens" in Halifax, a prize winning park for those not familiar with Halifax. He is in tears over the devestation, he has been nursing some of those trees since he started there thirty years ago. The Park is shut down until next year.

All in all, my second Hurricane was almost as much of an education in the power of mother nature as my first (which was on a Navel tanker off the coast of Virgina many years ago).

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 1
I was somewhat disappointed with how unprepared a lot of people were ... Nova Scotians are used to nasty winter storms but completely underestimated a force two hurricane.

Tim,

Then again these hurricanes never actually hit with much more force than a mild tropical storm. Worst hurricane comparable that I remember was about 25-30 years ago when my grandfathers barn blew down, most of the silo tops were gone for most farmers, and a few trees. But geez this took out many of the big trees in the downtown area here, the roof of Truro's four story skyscraper blew off( Bank of Montreal building). Golf course will be easier to drive next spring, as many of those trees are gone or much shorter. Took two days to clear main streets,parts of the Willow and Robie were impassable until today. And most of the wiring fixes are just patchwork and still need to be redone properly.

My parents were just in and transfered their moose meat to our freezers, as they don't expect power back until Saturday or maybe even early next week. Wow, hard to believe only two people were killed by fallen trees, once you get out and take a lok at the number and size that fell. I think the wind took up a mini tornado pattern for awhile around here.

Probably a lot more rookie power saw operators will get seriously hurt trying to remove those big trees from their property then injured by them toppling. I lot of people had luck on their side I think, as far as the severity the tree damage caused.

Got to rig up some plan to get the water pumping in power outages though, maybe something auxillary mounted with the ability to be manually cranked or maybe something DC driven. We often lose power for a day in the winter, and this weather is much more preferred than -30 with no heat.

Hear any stories from people in Fenwick? that thing sways way to much in normal low winds doesn't it. I wouldn't have gambled it would have stayd up.

Duane

Duane:

Fenwick?

For all of us who are deprived of the privilage of living down east... what is this?

Bob
Fenwick is the tallest building in Halifax, 32 floors I think. Don't know if its general apartments now, but a few years ago it used to be owned by Dalhousie University used for student apartments mainly, offices and stores below. My sister used to live about half way up and from what I hear, the top floors used to have water splash out of the toilets on windy days. From what I hear it wasn't a brilliant piece of engineering work.

There was a swimming pool placed somewhere in the middle floors, or maybe it was near the top. Pool was never used because they forgot to consider weight of the water when they designed building.

The Eastlink phone I think you asked about as well, its not internet based but it is cable based, which also can have internet flowing as well. I have all three; Eastlink cable,phone, and internet.

Duane
No. of Recommendations: 1

Fenwick is the tallest building in Halifax, 32 floors I think. Don't know if its general apartments now, but a few years ago it used to be owned by Dalhousie University used for student apartments mainly, offices and stores below. My sister used to live about half way up and from what I hear, the top floors used to have water splash out of the toilets on windy days. From what I hear it wasn't a brilliant piece of engineering work.

There was a swimming pool placed somewhere in the middle floors, or maybe it was near the top. Pool was never used because they forgot to consider weight of the water when they designed building.

The Eastlink phone I think you asked about as well, its not internet based but it is cable based, which also can have internet flowing as well. I have all three; Eastlink cable,phone, and internet.

Duane

Duane,
They did evacuate the tower, it is (I think) mostly University students living there and apparently, water was pouring in through the torn up roof. Dal put a lot of them up in Hotels for a couple days, but then the hotels needed the rooms back and tossed them on Wednesday. I understand that they will be able to move back in on Monday.

Halifax took a direct hit but hurricanes lose force very quickly over land, and once it was inland became a tropical storm.

There are still 45K people with no power, but things are picking up quickly now. My neighbour went out and paid $89 for a camping stove the same day we got power back. I told him the he and "I" would have coffee next time :-).

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks for the concern guys. Things still aren't quite back to normal here yet. At a stop sign on the way in today we stopped to let the firetruck go by and noticed a neighbors's house burst into flame.

Don't know the cause but I'm guessing they were burning branches from trees which fell. It was midday so I doubt if it was candles, or other similar culprits.

Some people including my dad who is in his mid-eighties are still without power. It has been a long hard schlog for him. Humungous trees from his neighbors yard crashed down into his front yard completely covering the lawn from the front doorstep to the street, snapping fenceposts both in the driveway and at the front like they were toothpicks.

My brother and I spent the better part of the day cutting up that 50-year old silver maple just so the old man could get out of his driveway. The powerlines and the phone lines were completely detached from the house with their masts left hanging. The wires were hanging in the street with some of them just lying there.

I spend most of the past few days trying to get the phone company and the power company to re-attach his lines. The phone is up now, and yesterday we managed to get an electrician in to redo the powerline masts at the house. So now the power company can reconnect the lines, but just try to get either on the phone.

You sit there for hours listening to the automated response telling you the same things over and over again, only to get put off to a busy signal in the end. It is very frustrating.

We could have been much better prepared for this, but few of us took the threat seriously. After so many reports of approaching storms which usually peter out by the time they reach us most of us tend to become a little complacent about such things.

I know I've never seen trees whipped around so furiously - some estimates clocked them at 180 kph. It ripped green leaves from the trees tore them apart and then flattened them against the side of buildings - right up to the peak of most houses.

At our place a large tree fell on the garage. At Point Pleasant Park, a much cherrished bit of forest in the south end of Halifax, 150-year old trees were uprooted like so much grass. Thousands of large trees are down all over the city.

What's most striking though about all this to me is how much people here pull together to help each other out in such times. You see neighbor helping neighbor, and family going to bat for each other.

And once the devestation is over and you realize that you're still alive and so is everyone else that you care about, it can strengthen your faith in humanity and make you proud of your community and your roots. Which reminds me, I should get back to those phone lines.