No. of Recommendations: 0
His employer makes no matching contributions. What should we be doing instead? Do you think we should be putting our money somewhere else?

If I were in this situation I would first max out a Roth IRA. I would then take any additional avaiable investing money and I'd contribute half of it to the 401K, and half of it to a taxable account. The taxable account could be used to buy low-cost index funds at Vanguard, for example. The important thing about a taxable account is to buy-and-hold to take advantage of long-term capital gain tax rates.

The higher your marginal tax rate, and the longer the time to retirement, the greater the benefit of a 401K over a taxable account, but a taxable account affords more withdrawal flexibility and control over taxable income in retirement, hence I see benefits in having bth. Funding a Roth first is a 'no-brainer'.

(who doesn't like to put all her eggs in one basket ;-)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.