No. of Recommendations: 3
His one warning is as good as the other. You just don't like it.
No. I don't agree with it. Show me some evidence.

Eisenhower warned of two "equal and opposite" dangers:
"domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment"
and "public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite".

STEM scholars have many career options today. Federal research dollars are one option, but there are many other sources of funding. NIH research has benefited the US greatly. And supporting research is in the US Constitution.

The second danger is only a problem if the result is more bad decisions. But there is no evidence of that. Are we better off following science or not? There is evidence that people who disregard science are making bad decisions. Measles or polio anyone?

Eisenhower gives another warning in his farewell address:
"Another factor in maintaining balance involves the element of time. As we peer into society's future, we – you and I, and our government – must avoid the impulse to live only for today, plundering for, for our own ease and convenience, the precious resources of tomorrow. We cannot mortgage the material assets of our grandchildren without asking the loss also of their political and spiritual heritage. We want democracy to survive for all generations to come, not to become the insolvent phantom of tomorrow."
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.