Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 51

History should not be sanitized nor erased. If you don't like it, learn from it so you don't repeat those mistakes. Dr Seuss is history, his contributions to children's literature and making reading fun for children is unmistakable. Ironically, many are calling him a racist while one of his books (The Sneetches) deals with racism in a way children can understand. -JLC

Agree in general, JLC; I am hanging onto my old copy of Little Black Sambo, but I would never read it to my grandkids.
...and Curious George has always been Curiously Stupid.

There’s a bit of a difference between “Tom Sawyer”, which is read in the 6th grade, “Gone With The Wind” which is read in high school, and Dr. Seuss’s 6 extracted books (out of 60 which were written) and which are generally read by 4 to 6 year olds, and who (I hope it is obvious) lack the intellectual framework to make the kinds of distinctions were are talking about here, or even have it explained to them.

Nobody is talking about “banning” these Dr Seuss books. But the publisher has made a decision that a small part of the library reflects badly on the entire body of work, and has decided to stop publishing them. If a library = or Uncle Harry - want to keep a copy available for people to read, then that is their decision.

This is another Faux outrage, ranking right up there with the War On Christmas, stolen elections, and hoards of migrant caravans invading the border. We sit in the middle of a pandemic which has killed a half-million Americans, following an armed insurrection promoted by the President, with a recent and massive infrastructure failure in our second largest state, and while Iran lobs missiles into American bases and we do the same into Syrian cities.

So yes, by all means, let’s talk about a private company’s decision to top printing of a tiny fraction of their output because of outdated racial tropes.

Oh look. Shiny!
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.