Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
They've just announced the imminent closure of the UK boards today - I wonder how far behind the US announcement will be?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Motley Fool is closing?
They've just announced the imminent closure of the UK boards today - I wonder how far behind the US announcement will be?

They said it was software issues but it's money. The UK site has always been the poor cousin.

Personally I think it's down to them having to employ 3 moderators just for my posts!

:O)

Si
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've got a LOT of history & life story here to copy, if that's the case...

peace & archives
t
I've got a LOT of history & life story here to copy, if that's the case...

peace & archives
t

Sweet jeebus I use it as a historical record as well. How will I ever remember when I last bought tires?!

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 4
If they make an announcement, could somebody here post it on the book of Faces? A bunch of us only drop in from time to time.

-synchronicity

PS- there was this baseball thing that just happened. You might have heard about it...
Can they use the US boards?
Can they use the US boards?

Some of us have been for years.
Yes.
Lot's of new registrations going on right now.

Although there are a few whom I hope don't!

:O)

Si
No. of Recommendations: 3
can any of you nerd types download the entirety of the boards to a file that you could send out to us all? I'd hate to lose 25 years of comedy gold.
According to the accounts TMF UK lost £1,000,000 over the last 18 months.

Si
No. of Recommendations: 3
can any of you nerd types download the entirety of the boards to a file that you could send out to us all? I'd hate to lose 25 years of comedy gold.

I did this a few years ago, before TMF became a wasteland. I believe I have all non-deleted posts through 2008 or so... Maybe 2007. I always intended to grab the deleted ones as well, but never got around to it. If TMF ever shuts down, I'll put it all up somewhere.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I hate to admit this out loud, but I'd probably pay for a copy just as an historical reference. I have literally done a search for information I've posted to jog my memory.

impolite
I hate to admit this out loud, but I'd probably pay for a copy just as an historical reference. I have literally done a search for information I've posted to jog my memory.

impolite
R0TJob

impolite

Well I could never charge for it. The problem is hosting it in a way that allows people to search. It's a lot of data. I'd basically have to make some skeleton version of TMF itself.

Fortunately I asked over on the Board Admin board and everybody who replied said TMF isn't going anywhere.

This does not surprise me. They've been trying to farm out the UK operations for years. Anyone remember "Lovemoney.com"? I haven't a clue what happened to that brand.

I always found the UK Boards to be a bit flat, when compared to the US ones. There are reasons why people like me - and Si - hang around here instead. You're all much nicer and more chatty. I remember getting slapped down on the UK version of LBYM because I wrote something chatty....

If you need a UK-based frugal discussion board, may I recommend the Old-Style Thrift board at MoneySavingExpert? ( http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 )

- Pam