Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This guy (a Nobel prize-winning economist) thinks our houses are too big: https://www.insider.com/yale-economist-big-houses-are-waste-...

That's fine for HIM, but I'm guessing he's not a quilter, or a musician, or a chef, or a woodworker. Maybe he doesn't have a large family, doesn't like to entertain, or want his own bowling alley. Maybe he doesn't want a tree farm in the back yard. But he shouldn't tell anyone else what they should or should not own....

Would you buy bigger if you had the chance?

Fifi
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
That's fine for HIM, but I'm guessing he's not a quilter, or a musician, or a chef, or a woodworker. Maybe he doesn't have a large family, doesn't like to entertain, or want his own bowling alley. Maybe he doesn't want a tree farm in the back yard. But he shouldn't tell anyone else what they should or should not own....

That's like Marie Kondo. When she wrote her book she was single, had very little family, and had spent five years as a Zen Buddhist nun.

AC *bets she didn't have to keep things like tax records either*
No. of Recommendations: 3
This guy (a Nobel prize-winning . . . .

+++
+++

Qualifies you for NOTHING!

Didja furgit about the Illini dude who won the "peace prize" a decade ago?
No. of Recommendations: 2
This guy (a Nobel prize-winning economist) thinks our houses are too big: https://www.insider.com/yale-economist-big-houses-are-waste-......

Would you buy bigger if you had the chance?

Fifi

He also said: "Plus, buying a home in general isn't a great investment."

No way would I ever take his economic advise!!!!

We knew we were taking on more house payment than what was recommend when we bought our house in 1975 but we knew what frugal meant and lived very frugally for 7 years so I could stay home with our boys. Paid off the house early and now only have to pay taxes and upkeep which is a WHOLE lot less than paying the current rent for a house in our area of $3,000 a month. I did an accounting of all we spent on maintenance and remodeling not to long ago and we didn't come anywhere near what it would have cost to rent all these years. (23 years of Quicken made it very easy!) Not to mention the appreciation of our house is over 1600% (and I used a calculator to make sure I did that right!)

Fifi, To answer your question, I've wanted a larger house since our second child was born. Even as the boys moved out, I've wanted a little bigger house. I don't need more rooms, but I'd love to have a kitchen big enough to turn around in and not bump into DH unless I wanted to! ;) I'd love a larger master bath but I don't need a family room and living room any more. We have 3 bedrooms. Two are decent size and the third I call my walk in closet because it's SO SMALL!

Utahtea
Qualifies you for NOTHING!

A Nobel may not be a qualification but filing bankruptcy six times is?

AC *d&r*
No. of Recommendations: 1
. . . but filing bankruptcy six times is?

+++
+++

Nope! It shows that society was Wrong in eliminating Debtors' Prisons.
It shows that society was Wrong in eliminating Debtors' Prisons.

So bone spurs don't get you out of Debtors Prison?

AC *snicker*
No. of Recommendations: 1
I would not buy a larger house if I had the chance. DH had a much larger house before he moved in with me, and my parents' house is much larger as well. My observation is that it is good for lots of kids, but also good for building up lots of stuff. I am particularly bothered by clutter, even if it is well organized, so do better with an environment that forces me to choose minimal stuff and to purge often.

ThyPeace, not that I'm perfect at it. Finally gave DD's crib away a couple of weeks ago. She's 16. That one was particularly hard. I always wanted another baby in this family to use it. That's not my path, though.
. . . in this family to use it. That's not my path, though.

+++
+++

Which is why my lil' brudder has the 1937 LaSalle sedan that Grandpa bought new for Grandma & our father got to drive home from the dealership.

sunray
a man with modern cars