Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hmmm... not sure what the best way to phrase this is.

I'm in my 20's and have been working hard since college to erase all my debt (credit cards, loans, etc.). I've been pretty successful at this, but still have a little way to go (who doesn't).

Here's my question: My girlfriend is not exactly financially responsible. I just taught her how to balance a checkbook, but she just keeps piling up the bills. She'll ignore bills that come in the mail and gets calls from creditors all the time demanding money. I just know that one look at her credit report would make me cringe (she doesn't care to see hers).

Is anyone else in a relationship with a financially inept person, and how do you make them see the light?

Hey Mad!

You should post this on the Credit card board at http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100145 as this dilemma comes up often there. You'll get lots of ideas.

Meanwhile, you're doing the right thing by teaching her, but it's very important that she gets her priorities straight. One way to do that is for her to list her goals and how much easier it'd be for her to reach them without that albatross around her neck in the form of bills that are holding her back. Show her how different life can be when she has the money working for her instead of against here. :-)

This link may also come in handy:
http://www.fool.com/credit/credit.htm?ref=LN

Good luck!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post  

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.