Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hmmm, sarcasm doesn't always come across very well.

In the early days of credit unions, membership requirements WERE very strict.
On paper, there still are membership requirements. But de facto, membership requirements are as strict as getting an alcoholic drink at a restaurant in the local "dry" county. You have to be a member of an official club. Which generally means writing your name in a spiral notebook they keep at the reception desk.

Heh, some 10 years ago I got a high-paying CD from a credit union out west. The membership requirement was to say that you believed in Jesus.

Nowadays, the membership requirements are "able to fog a mirror held underneath nose."

I don't have anything against DCU. Although they *do* have a less stupid name than what Motorola Employees Credit Union changed their name to--"Andigo"

I looked at their site and they are no different than the 3 other credit unions I have accounts at.
Or, really, some of the online bank bank I have. BrioDirect (aka Sterling Bank), HSBC, Discover Bank.
Ah, actually, DCU is worse except for savings account with small balance. 6% up to $1000 and 0.25% above that. Cool if you are just starting out, though. If I had a youngster, I'd direct them there in a New York minute.

As far as mortgages, credit unions are just mortgage brokers & servicers. As soon as they make the loan they sell it to FNMA or FreddieMac. Mine got sold and I got the letter from FreddieMac before the first payment.
Only once in all my mortgages have I gotten a better deal from a CU than from AIMloan or Amerisave.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.