Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
Awrighty, that time of the year again, and as usual, I am attempting to race against time and race against the fat, jolly guy. My understanding is, due to Covid-19, Santa implemented safe working protocols in his workshop. Since most of the staff are elves, safe distancing was reduced to 3ft between elves. And that gives me a chance to make my list before Santa completes his rounds.

Ok, my list for 2021
1. Qualcomm (QCOM)
Not the deepest value idea, but the tech firm seems to be performing well in its core areas. Yes, the news that big customer, Apple (AAPL), is working on a future wireless chipset, is a bit of a negative. That said, while Apple might develop a competing product, I would imagine it would take AAPL sometime to ramp up on the production side.

2. Exantas Capital (XAN)
Generally, I would have avoided a mortgage REIT. But, this idea got my attention because of the two white knights who rode in to "rescue" Exantas in August 2020. Actually, it was one of the two knights, in particular, that made me say Hmm?? In a nutshell, XAN ran into problems with margin calls. Then-existing management team took some drastic steps, that seemed to help some. Then two knights, Oaktree Capital and MassMutual, jumped in to help.
https://www.abfjournal.com/dailynews/massmutal-oaktree-suppl...

Since Aug 2020, among the positives,
1. New management team to guide the mREIT.
2. Restoring the payout on the preferred shares
3. Dividend on the preferred had been suspended earlier in the year. Preferred share owners were "made whole" with a catch-up payout.

3. HC2 Holdings (HCHC)
Mini-conglomerate was on my list last year. I again put them on the list for 2021. Lots has happened with HC2 in the past year. There was a contentious board fight that ended with CEO and Board member Philip Falcone being dumped as CEO. Company is involved in a number of sectors - Construction, Insurance, Telecommunications, Broadcasting, CNG stations, etc. and during the year have been open to exiting one or more of those sectors. At first glance, the first three sectors appear to be core. But each of those three sectors has been "available", then withdrawn. Currently, there appears to be a new low-ball offer for the insurance segment, and a deal in the works for the Telco segment.

4. Pershing Square Tontine Holdings (PSTH)
The SPAC (Special Purpose Acquisition Corp) made a big comeback in 2020. Some SPACs have already identified the business, and completed the merger e.g. Nikola Corp (NKLA), Desktop Metal (DM). Other SPACs, including PSTH have not identified the business yet. That makes them somewhat of a black-box. But, but ... it is THAT Pershing Square - the entity managed by Bill Ackman is involved. PSTH could shine, PSTH could fizzle.

5. Navios Maritime Partners (NMM)
One of my Ho Ho Hohum picks in last year's list was Navios Maritime Containers Inc (NMCI). The initial impact of Covid-19 on some shipping sub-sectors (Containers, Dry Bulk) was a major negative. Then,in Q2-Q3 2020 the big container shipping players (Maersk, CGA CGM, Cosco, etc) started utilizing their logistical know-how, and suddenly things were great in the larger-size vessels of the container shipping sector. In Q4 2020, good rates have trickled down to medium and smaller classes of container vessels. That is where NMCI's fleet operates. Ok, so why is HohumYNWA picking NMM instead of NMCI in 2021? Well, in mid-Nov 2020, NMM, which already owns 35% of NMCI, made an offer to acquire the rest of NMCI via a share exchange. Though NMM does own some container vessels, it is mostly known for its dry bulk fleet.

Could NMCI shares continue to rise? Yes, it is possible.
But I also think NMCI's share price is restrained by the NMM offer. OTOH, NMM could likely gain from either the dry bulk sector improving and/or completion of the acquisition.

My Ho Ho Hohum list for 2021.

Done? Not sure ...

HohumYNWA
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.