Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
The five ideas I suggested at the end of 2020:
1. Qualcomm (QCOM): Very decent year
2. Exantas Capital (XAN/ACR): Reached my target in Q1 2021
3. HC2 Holding (HCHC/VATE): Sold some subsidiaries, share price moved higher
4. Pershing Square Tontine Holdings (PSTH): Thought they had a business, then they didn't. Price has slumped since the start of the year
5. Navios Maritime Partners (NMM): Acquired the container subsidiary of Navios (NMCI) - very good. Partnership units headed higher, a lot higher. Acquired the tanker entity of Navios (NNA) - bad. Partnership units have generally slumped. NMM CEO Angeliki Frangou can put whatever spin she wants on the second deal. But the reality is, the NNA deal was self-serving, and is/was diworsification.

4 of 5 picks: Good => Great returns
1 of 5 picks: Negative. But, PSTH is still a work-in-progress.
Since all 5 were actual holdings of various sizes, I have some realized and unrealized gains in all 5 ideas, including a multi-bagger from a major chunk of my NMM units.

Will dig into NMM in 2022.

HohumYNWA
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks for your end2020 tips.

I have done very well with QCOM call options.

I also dabbled in PSTH call options, but closed them out at a small profit. I lost faith that they would actually buy a decent company. Too many gimmicks for my taste.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also dabbled in PSTH call options, but closed them out at a small profit. I lost faith that they would actually buy a decent company. Too many gimmicks for my taste.

PSTH has been somewhat frustrating. But, given SPACs have a given timeframe to put their funds to work, the situation cannot remain the same indefinitely. Their two years ends sometime in 2022.

At least through Sept 2021, Baupost Group (Seth Klarman) still had a stake in PSTH