Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hobed,

Good post. I closely agree with you.

I do wonder about point 2 though --- "...I tend to think of the stocks I hold as either excellent, very good, or average. "

I'm wondering if you could expound on that? How is it that you don't view any stocks you own as below average? And I am wondering if you are talking solely MDP or if you are talking about a broader portfolio of personal selections?

Regarding MDP choices, I think at the time of selection we think of our choices as Garrison Keillor might -- they all have that aura enough to warrant "above average" from the MDP majority. But things change. Over time it's clear that we end up with MDP losers. I don't think we should hold losers indefinitely --- I defer most decisions to the advisers and maintain a full portfolio, but I think we really do hold stocks that have gone sour too long. We're all reluctant to convert paper loss to real loss.

Although HI was among stocks I believed were most likely sell candidates, it was not at the top of my list. I too take in to consideration if a stock has a decent dividend, whether it is tainted in fact of misdeeds, misjudgment, or things outside its control or even simply by strong negative sentiment. I try to validate my own opinions by one or more trusted third party opinions where possible.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.