No. of Recommendations: 3
One-stop shopping for all your Hoco-mania needs.

http://www.passionsaving.com/community.html

I have spent 13 years of my life researching this stuff and have compiled 40 binders of materials and written close to 3,000 discussion board posts in that time.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Someone with 40 binders of materials can't be wrong! ;)
No. of Recommendations: 2
The Passion Saving concept is a new idea and it is thus not possible for any one person to appreciate all its implications.

Then why the hell should I buy the book?

Oh, wait, it looks like the book hasn't actually been published yet. Possibly not even written yet.

The book Passion Saving will be available for sale at this section of the site in May 2005.

Mark your calenders.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I have spent 13 years of my life researching this stuff and have compiled 40 binders of materials and written close to 3,000 discussion board posts in that time.

</snip>

intercst

And it can all be condensed down to one double spaced typed page.

It's just not that complicated. For cripes sake, just live cheaply and save money. Now with the availability of index funds even a monkey can be an investor.

He's doing all that stuff because he wants to make money on it. Good luck to him. He does have kids. - Art
No. of Recommendations: 0
Someone with 40 binders of materials can't be wrong! ;)

You know what's in those binders don't you? The archives of the Motely Fool retire early homepage message board! Heck, I'm fast approaching the 20,000 post mark myself. Soon I'll be getting my very own puke green star. - Art
Heck, I'm fast approaching the 20,000 post mark myself. Soon I'll be getting my very own puke green star. - Art

Whoops! Fast approaching 10,000 posts. I saw the number of recs and thought that was my number of posts. It's sort of late I guess I'm kind of dyslexic. I need to go get some sleep. - Art
And it can all be condensed down to one double spaced typed page.

It's just not that complicated. For cripes sake, just live cheaply and save money. Now with the availability of index funds even a monkey can be an investor.

He's doing all that stuff because he wants to make money on it. Good luck to him. He does have kids. - Art

Art,

I agree with you and I doubt that Hocus will post a link to your post (bad for business).

Did the people quoted on his website agree to participate in his marketing? Isn't that sort of standard?
ataloss asks,

Did the people quoted on his website agree to participate in his marketing? Isn't that sort of standard?

Maybe we can get ChocoKitty back here to file for a restraining order.

intercst
No. of Recommendations: 4
See if you are mentioned here:

http://www.passionsaving.com/goals.html

20) "Arrete" saved to be able to avoid having to set the alarm clock on mornings on which she felt like sleeping in.

Gee, arrete, I had no idea.

Wouldn't it be funny if someone FA'ed the TMF post(s) to which he links? That would really frost his cheerios. ;)

tmeri writes,

See if you are mentioned here:

http://www.passionsaving.com/goals.html

What about this one?

17) "Wanderer0692" saved to be able to spend more time with his wife and children;

Didn't the incident on that nude French beach pretty much end that dream?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21237392&sort=whole#21242153

intercst
20) "Arrete" saved to be able to avoid having to set the alarm clock on mornings on which she felt like sleeping in.

Gee, arrete, I had no idea.

I'm not mentioned, and I'm retired.
Didn't the incident on that nude French beach pretty much end that dream?

IIRC, his wife left with everything BEFORE the beach incident.
--------------------------------™
I had no idea he used my board name. I don't see how I can stop him, but I think it is totally unethical to do so on a site that is asking for money. I mean, really. Parts of that site sound like a real bad con job of the "I can make you RICH" variety.

Besides, my board name has some sort of reputation attached to it, and that site is dragging that reputation in the mud.

arrete - unamused
I had no idea he used my board name. I don't see how I can stop him, but I think it is totally unethical to do so on a site that is asking for money. I mean, really. Parts of that site sound like a real bad con job of the "I can make you RICH" variety.

Besides, my board name has some sort of reputation attached to it, and that site is dragging that reputation in the mud.

arrete - unamused

Maybe you should contact TMF concerning his behavior.
-------------™
Count your lucky stars.
ogrecat writes,

<<I had no idea he used my board name. I don't see how I can stop him, but I think it is totally unethical to do so on a site that is asking for money. I mean, really. Parts of that site sound like a real bad con job of the "I can make you RICH" variety.

arrete - unamused >>

Maybe you should contact TMF concerning his behavior.

I wonder if hocus has permission from TMF to use the posts?

He has the right to copy his own TMF posts and use them as he likes, but I believe he needs clearance to use other people's posts.

If TMF did grant permission to use my posts in that manner, I'd be pissed.

intercst
>> I wonder if hocus has permission from TMF to use the posts? <<

Those snippets seem short enough that they should be covered by "fair use."

But it's still a bit unethical and shady to use these "case studies" into 20 folks without their permission, even if it's technically legal.

If he says that I devoted my RE to learning French, I'm calling my lawyer.

--fleg
Those snippets seem short enough that they should be covered by "fair use."

But it's still a bit unethical and shady to use these "case studies" into 20 folks without their permission, even if it's technically legal.
-----------------------™
I think they are reworded at that. I noticed he didn't take on ChocoKitty <g>

Still pissed.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 5

Maybe we can get ChocoKitty back here to file for a restraining order.
intercst

Hocus has a wife and kids to support. I wish him all the best with his endeavor. It's really immaterial whether he's manic or not, or even whether what he's "preaching" has any validity whatsoever, since there's all ready so much horse manure and balogna being passed off as financial advice. Let the buyer beware.

I'm sure that Hocus is concerned about providing and taking care of his wife and children, and what with the financial disaster he's all ready gone through, for whatever reason (even if it's of his own doing), I hope that he's successful and his able to make a profit with his current scheme.

We all make mistakes and do stupid things in our lives. Some mistakes are just more permanent than others, and some are more harmful than others. - Art
Still pissed. arrete

I don't blame you. I've inquired further:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22105479

dan
I don't blame you. I've inquired further:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22105479
-------------------------------™
Thanks, galagan. I've posted a mini-rant there.<g> I think TMFTwitty is right, though. It isn't illegal. But I still think it's unethical.

arrete
Thanks, galagan. I've posted a mini-rant there.<g> I think TMFTwitty is right, though. It isn't illegal. But I still think it's unethical.

arrete

Should someone write to Hocus and complain?
Should someone write to Hocus and complain?
---------------------------------™
Thank for bring it up at ITF, OC.

I am thinking about a short, but concise phrase, just asking him to take my name off his web page. I will post it on all the relevant boards. My only problem is I don't have access to NFB, and don't what to set up an account there just for this. I will cogitate.

BTW - the phrase I was thinking of was

Please remove my board name "arrete" from your web site.

Short and sweet. Think it's enough?

arrete
>> Short and sweet. Think it's enough? <<

If it's not, there's always Fat Tony and the Goon Squad.

Hocus reads this board so I'm sure he'll see it. If yoiu want to set up temporary account, use

www.mailinator.com
Guess I don't have to do anything. He's got the message.

http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3437

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 4
Guess I don't have to do anything. He's got the message.

http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3437

Has he?

Seems as though the twerp doesn't quite get the point (and the 'leader' thinks there is no problem).
Has he?

Seems as though the twerp doesn't quite get the point (and the 'leader' thinks there is no problem).
---------------------------------------------™
You're right. He has read the message, but he hasn't gotten it. I also notice he posted this safely on his own board at NFB where many DCMs won't go. Still, there are some rational people that visit that board. I hope they set him straight.

arrete
Still, there are some rational people that visit that board. I hope they set him straight.

arrete

If you really think anyone can set his straight then ... well, don't.

Regards,
Prometheuss

Me neither, and I've been retired a lot longer than you have.

What am I, chopped liver? I'm feeling left out. What does a guy have to do to get his 15 minutes of fame, anyway?

What am I, chopped liver? I'm feeling left out. What does a guy have to do to get his 15 minutes of fame, anyway?

You have to spill your personal life into the internet.

While the facts he printed about me are wrong, the general message is correct.

I am torn about his telling of my story. I feel like its an invasion of my privacy. How on earth can I feel that when I post personal stuff on TMF almost daily?

I do believe he should have asked. I probably would have said yes.

I would not be where I am today without the community of the fools.

Those fools who hung out here in 1998 and 1999 were very patient with this gal who didn't know an IRA from an index fund.

If his book brings financial freedom to others then more power to him.
I don't think it matters how you start this path to finacial freedom.

I would suspect that the path would lead here anyway. All those quotes are really the story of this community.

Sally