Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
We're sugar bowl bound! DH and I will be down Dec 31-Jan 5 in New Orleans. Looking for advice on anything considered a "must."

B&B recommendations welcome.

YAY!
96hokies
Print the post Back To Top
We're sugar bowl bound! DH and I will be down Dec 31-Jan 5 in New Orleans. Looking for advice on anything considered a "must."

B&B recommendations welcome.

YAY!
96hokies

Give us some more info.

First time in NO?

are you students, alumni, parents of students, just fans?

Party people, people watchers, bar-hoppers, trinket shoppers?

My BIL manages 2 clubs on Bourbon St. Actually, DJs at one, and helps manage the other.

I used to live there. I have lots of family there. I spend about 6-8 weeks there every year.

What "must" you see and do?

Joe Pike >>>
My first time in NO, husband went there for a long weekend a few years back. We are staying in the Marriott on Canal. Although I would have preferred B&B, amenities prevailed.

To answer some of your questions... 30 years old, VT alumni, mild party people, would rather watch drunk folks act crazy than be the drunken crazy person, enjoy shopping but opportunities will be limited severely by DH, interesting architectural or historical buildings would be intriguing, maybe see some wildlife? We're open.

Thanks for any tips!
96hokies
enjoy shopping but opportunities will be limited severely by DH, interesting architectural or historical buildings would be intriguing, maybe see some wildlife? We're open.

Thanks for any tips!

You are in luck. Many of the shoppes and boutiques in and around the quarter are architectural and historical wonders, relatively speaking.
DH can remain intrigued outside, and you can shop inside.

The Audubon Zoo is great, as is the aquarium. I don't know if the zoo will be open, though.

Joe >>
Yuh said, "My first time in NO, husband went there for a long weekend a few years back. We are staying in the Marriott on Canal. Although I would have preferred B&B, amenities prevailed."

You will be very close to the "the streetcar" so be sure and ride it. It quite inexpensive, takes about and hour and a half both ways and you will get an excellent tour on Nawleans. The locals love to talk 'bout der city so if yuh are in luck yuh mought git a 'guided' tour.

Enjoy the sights, scenes and most of all de food. Git yuhseff summa dem 'Poor Boy Sammiches' on de square. Folk kin tell yuh how tuh walk dere.

Have fun 'n 'njoy. Glad tuh have y'all.

DeColonelCAF

(Near Lake Charles, LA, about two hunnert mile frum Nawlins)
We are staying in the Marriott on Canal... would rather watch drunk folks act crazy

Not exactly the greatest spot for watching during the bowl (better during Mardi Gras). You can do some watching from The Absinthe House on Bourbon. Jackson Square is a good place to see all kinds of sights, frights, and delights. No trip to New Orleans would be complete without stopping at Pat O'Brien's, just off Bourbon, at St Petes. You have to go to Tipitinas http://www.tchouphouse.com/

A ride up St Chuck's on the trolley is a great way to see some of NO's grand and stately homes.

If you walk back from the French Market, along Decatur, back toward Canal, you'll find some interesting eateries and gift shops. Be sure to try some café au lait at Café du Monde. And don't forget to take home some pralines from Aunt Sally's. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is an interesting spot for your age group.

A burger from The Port Of Call on Esplanade and Dauphine will satisfy.

I'll send more as it comes to mind.
No. of Recommendations: 1
(Near Lake Charles, LA...

Do you know little Bessie, up on Cripple Creek?

Joe >>

Yuh axed, yuh did, "Do you know little Bessie, up on Cripple Creek?"

Don' bleeve Ah do, dut Ah know Marie Lebeaux, de witchin' lady down in de swamps! Smile.

DeColonelCAF
No. of Recommendations: 1
Smile.

All day long.

Joe >>