Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear Motley Fool Jedi Masters,
I am trying to come up with a streamlined way of comparing estimated investment returns over time. Ultimately, I want to have a good idea at any given time whether or not it makes sense to hold a high flying growth security with expectation of an eventual multibagger with a total value of $1,000,000 in a given amount of time (17 years). OR if I might reasonably expect to compound the value of that money at a higher rate over the same period of time (17 years) by liquidating said security at a given price point, paying the long term cap gains and reallocating into several high conviction dividend payers with an understanding of estimated dividend % appreciation, stock price appreciation, and assumed reinvestment of dividends?

Put a different way, I have a (relative to my portfolio) large position in a growth stock that I have reasonably high conviction in hitting a specific valuation in a given amount of time. I want to figure out if it would behoove me to just hold that position through to fruition (assuming all goes well, famous last words) or if it would be smarter to liquidate that position at a price point shy of the valuation that I think it can reach (in 17 years time) if that price point liquidation (including taxes paid) would allow me to re-allocate funds to several solid dividend payers that would presumably earn an equal or higher return over that same 17 year time period. I am making these assumptions on each of these dividend payers based on company financial fundamentals and my projection of each of their dividend % growth over time and share price growth over time. I would plan on dividend reinvestment with each of the held dividend paying securities.

Does anyone know of a good website or software program that allows for a set dollar amount to be compared/contrasted across several different companies at the same time? Any help would be rad!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.