Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
December is the month that I usually make/bake cookies and other treats for Christmas and to give as gifts to family and friends. This year I have my cooking & baking hampered by a case of sciatica, which flared up in October and still bothers me. So far, I have baked, batches of chocolate chip cookies, spritz cookies, thumbprints, “butter balls” and kiflies. I have the dough mixed up and awaiting rolling & baking for a batch of Polish kolackys. I plan to make a batch of linzer tarts and a batch of my “green fairy balls”. I already have one batch of bourbon balls in the can and may make a second batch or a batch of rum balls. What are y’all making special this month, huuuggh?
;-)

C.J.V. - hoping this physical therapy I started last week helps some, me
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
hampered by a case of sciatica, which flared up in October and still bothers me.

BTDT, and yes, the PT will help, but it takes a lot longer than you think. I've had it twice, and had to do PT both times, but the causes were different, and so the exercises were different each time. I had it on the left side last year, and the PT got rid of it, but it is starting to bother me again, so I have started exercises again hoping that I can catch it early and get rid of it.

Good luck, and hopefully it will be gone for you soon.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks for the concern and information on my sciatica. It flared up when I spent 6 or 5 1/2 hours extracting my truck from a muddy area of my property. I know, I should have waited for my neighbor to get off work and use his tractor to extract it but it was only 35 or 30 feet from the concrete pad on which I usually park the trailer on. Dumb!! That being said, I started PT last week and have my second appointment tomorrow. I plans to go twice next week and follow that by 3 appointments a week after that. Since Medicare and my secondary insurance will pay for it, I’ll see if that helps in a couple of months.
;-)

So what goodies are y’all making for the holidays, huuuggh?

C.J.V. - doing a slight modification to my “green fairy balls” this year, me
I haven't made these yet, but I'm planning on it.

https://www.joyofbaking.com/shortbreads/MincemeatShortbreadB...

Leana
C.J.V. - doing a slight modification to my “green fairy balls” this year, me

What's your modification? If you're willing to tell.
🙂
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've had radiating thigh and shin pain off and on for years. Had all the tests and imaging. Had PT, drugs, etc. For a long time, exercise and stretching and yoga kept it at bay. This past year it got bad again and nothing would relieve it. I couldn't sleep at night. Was sent back for more images and more PT.

After weeks of the PT not working, I went and bought a used inversion table (cheap one but sturdy). Wow, this thing has changed my life. I use it about 2 - 3 times a day for 3 - 4 minutes and also do a hyperextension stretch on the mat for a few minutes and I have become pain-free 98% of the time. I am hoping that over time it will go away completely, but this is such an improvement that I can live with 2% pain. DH likes it, too, says everything feels better after using it.
JK
“C.J.V. - doing a slight modification to my “green fairy balls” this year, me”

What's your modification? If you're willing to tell.

First a little background. Back in the late 40s/early 50s, my mother got a recipe for “Rum Balls” out of one of them Women’s magazines. It used crushed vanilla wafers, sugar, cocoa, nuts & rum among udder stuff. Problem with it was if left on a cookie plate for more than a few minutes, the rum would evaporate and they got hard. I figured that if I could dip them in melted chocolate, that would solve that problem. About three years ago the N’Orleans newspaper had the recipe for Kentucky Bourbon Balls (See; https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/176961/kentucky-bourbon-ba... which is similar to the paper’s recipe), which was different than the original rum ball recipe and the alcohol didn’t evaporate when left out for a moderate amount of time.

I made up a batch using the best 101 bourbon from Wild Turkey I had and everyone liked them. I have a couple bottles of Absinthe, which was also known as “The Green Fairy”, so last year I told the wife that I was going to make up a batch of “green fairy balls”. She said “You are sick.” I used the Lucid absinthe (122 proof) and dipped the balls in melted white chocolate that I tinted green. The white (green) chocolate was a little too soft but everyone loved them, especially my daughter’s gay friends. This year I’m using walnuts instead of pecans and will try using green colored candy melts instead of the white chocolate.
;-)

C.J.V.
I've a friend who has an absinthe fountain.
After your post mentioned green fairy balls, I searched and found:
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/the-green-fairy-196...

We are now planning another party involving a fountain and some green fairies and some balls and ... 😃

Thank YOU!
ralph
After your post mentioned green fairy balls, I searched and found:
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/the-green-fairy-196......

Sounds interesting Ralph. If you make them, please post your results, problems, etc. here. One thing that I noticed in the destructions . . . . scoop enough ganache to make a 1 1/2-inch ball and quickly roll in your hands, . . ., you may want to decrease the size of the balls to 1-inch or even a bit smaller, depending upon the amount of alcohol in the finished balls.

With the bourbon balls, I’ll roll them around 3/4-inch and put them into the freezer for an hour or so before dipping them in chocolate. The original recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate chips) and said that you can add 1 or 2 tablespoons of canola oil, if needed to make the melted chocolate more liquid. I found that coconut oil, with its higher pour point works better. I also use 60% bittersweet chocolate now-a-daze instead of the semi-sweet stuff. It sets up a bit harder than the semi-sweet.
;-)

C.J.V. - good luck
I would also try acupuncture. It can be enormous help with inflammation and neural pain.

=sheila
voelkels:

A pharmacist recommended an unusual thing for my slipped disk/sciatica years ago and it was a miracle. I have used it a couple of times when I had a flare-up. It's called a "hydroculator". Sounds funny, maybe, but I found it worked when heating pads and such failed.

It comes in various shapes, but is basically canvas, with segments containing some kind of crystals that swell and retain heat when the thing is soaked in boiling water. To use it, you heat it up that way, wrap in however many layers of towel are needed to avoid burning yourself (gradually use fewer layers as it cools), and apply (maybe lie on it) until the pain goes away.

I once agonized for a week, lying on the carpet on my back, taking pain pills, until I tried that. In 20 minutes (true story), I gently got up and the pain was gone -- permanently!

Ask your doctor about it. He may laugh or may say it's a good idea.

After use, store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to avoid having it get moldy (!) until needed again.

I wish you success.

Vermonter