Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I finally got 10.1 installed.

I love the product, but I hate the awkward process I went through to get it:

Call 5 different Apple resellers. Ask if they are giving out upgrade CDs. I had the following response today (Thursday 4th Oct):

3 resellers are still waiting on stock to arrive! (Apple well and truly missed the September deadline here)

1 reseller said they had stock, but they would only give me a copy if I had purchased my machine at their store. Seeing as I purchased it from Apple, that's a bit difficult.

Finally! One reseller said they had stock, and they would give it to me if I showed my receipt from Apple .

Like I said before, what's most annoying is communication. it seems every store made up their own policy as to who would get the upgrade. I would have preferred it if Apple had given firm guidelines to the stores on what the policy was. It looks terrible when resellers make up their own policies and stiff people. Can the stores really prohibit people from getting the upgrade if they did not buy the machine from that shop?

What if the store you bought from has closed down? (as have many local resellers in the last 12 months)

All that frustration aside, 10.1 is awesome. I love the fact that the clock is back in the menu bar.

I love the Wacom drivers. the scrolly wheel on my Wacom 4D mouse works better in 10.1 than it does in 9.2!

Just one thing: The 10.1 manual lists iDVD 2 as one of the applications. However, I have searched my disks, and the only version there is iDVD 1 for Classic.

Is iDVD 2 included with 10.1? Why can't I find it? I can't wait to try it.

DVid
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I love the product, but I hate the awkward process I went through to get it:

Huh! I got the update two different ways. An they were both easy.

The easiest was by going into the Apple store in Peabody Mass. They had the update on Saturday and gave it out with a big smile and a thank you!! (I realize this may not work for you if there is not a store close by)

The other way was by faxing my credit card number and proof of purchase to Apple on Thursday. The update arrived at my home on Monday. It was complete with the Developer CD. It cost me $20 but that seems close to free.

Brian

David - After three trips to the only viable outlet around me (Sat, Tue, Wed) I've given up and will wait for my "coupon" copy. I think there must be people snapping them up who don't have OSX - somehow thinking they can get it to install or "what the heck, it's free". Could Apple have possibly mis-estimated demand so much? They know how many copies of OSX were (officially) out there before they started. ...Lee
No. of Recommendations: 4
Could Apple have possibly mis-estimated demand so much? They know how many copies of OSX were (officially) out there before they started. ...Lee

Unsubstantiated rumor... <lifted from AtAT>

"We know that some of you are still seething over the, shall we say, "less than smooth" implementation of the Mac OS X 10.1 "Instant Up-To-Date Program." For some people, what should have been a simple trip to the local Apple reseller to pick up a couple of free update CDs turned into a nightmare of long lines, missing shipments, and gory mayhem that was not unlike the expected result of Franz Kafka and Samuel Beckett teaming up to make a splatter movie. While we only got the merest taste of the potential trauma, if you were more deeply afflicted, we feel your pain.

"Often in times like these, people search for meaning amid the seemingly senseless tragedy as a balm for their suffering. In that spirit, we pass along to you a possible-- though unconfirmed-- explanation as to why so many Apple resellers never got their upgrade kits, or got far fewer than they had ordered. According to faithful viewer steveT, the representative at his local store claims that the kits were so scarce because of a last-minute defect discovered only after Apple had pressed thousands of the discs; reportedly they all had the QuickTime version of the original Spider-Man movie trailer.

"Why is this a problem, you ask? Well, because the original version of the trailer apparently includes a scene in which a helicopter flies into a giant spider web that's been spun right between the twin towers of the World Trade Center. That version of the trailer disappeared from the 'net the very day after both towers in this far less fun "real world" had been reduced to rubble-- but allegedly whoever was in charge of slapping together the upgrade discs didn't know that. As the story goes, someone discovered the inclusion of the arguably insensitive trailer at the last minute, and all the upgrade discs had to be destroyed and pressed again-- hence, the scarcity of upgrade kits last Saturday. True? We don't know. But it's an interesting story regardless, isn't it?"
<I?Huh! I got the update two different ways. An they were both easy.
The easiest was by going into the Apple store in Peabody Mass. They had the update on Saturday and gave it out with a big smile and a thank you!! (I realize this may not work for you if there is not a store close by)
The other way was by faxing my credit card number and proof of purchase to Apple on Thursday. The update arrived at my home on Monday. It was complete with the Developer CD. It cost me $20 but that seems close to free.

Did you not read my posts?

In Australia, you can't do online purchase - you have to use paper, and pay $20 to have it shipped.

I object to paying $20 when I just bought the darn computer.

OK - now the other option was to go to an Apple reseller. But most of those did not even have stock - days after the US release.

Those that did have stock said "I had to have purchased the software from their store" to be eligible.

I finally did find a copy - but only after hours of running around town and making phone calls, and calling Apple to see if they knew what was going on.

Everybody had a different story on what the upgrade policy was. No two people gave me the same policy.

Did you not read my post?

I am very happy that you got your copy easily - but it does not change the fact that the way this was handled was extremely inconvenient for many people.

DVid

David - After three trips to the only viable outlet around me (Sat, Tue, Wed) I've given up and will wait for my "coupon" copy. I think there must be people snapping them up who don't have OSX - somehow thinking they can get it to install or "what the heck, it's free". Could Apple have possibly mis-estimated demand so much? They know how many copies of OSX were (officially) out there before they started. ...Lee

Exactly!

I just don't understand how they can give copies away to anyone that walks into a store without proof-of-purchase - but then if I want to order direct from APPLE, and PAY delivery and give them my HOME ADDRESS details - they still want me to snail-mail in a proof-of-purchase!

I would have paid the $20 to get the delivery and the developer CD - but only if I could have done it online via credit card. I am not interested in licking stamps or sending faxes, or any other 'physical' methods. Too messy and wasteful. It is annoying enough having to drive to a store to pick it up.

It's only an update - i should be able to download it, or at least get it easily on CD without having to prove that I am Steve Jobs' love child.

DVid
turned into a nightmare of long lines, missing shipments, and gory mayhem that was not unlike the expected result of Franz Kafka and Samuel Beckett teaming up to make a splatter movie.

Man, AtAt is so creative. I love this image. In fact, I am going into pre-production now.

Anyone care to audition for a role in my production of "Waiting for Cockroach"?

Or maybe I should call it "Crouching Insect, hidden Godot'?

reportedly they all had the QuickTime version of the original Spider-Man movie trailer.
"Why is this a problem, you ask? Well, because the original version of the trailer apparently includes a scene in which a helicopter flies into a giant spider web that's been spun right between the twin towers of the World Trade Center.

now it gets even more surreal. Add spiderman and 'being caught in a web' to the Kafka-Beckett mix, and we have a wild theatrical ride, indeed!

DVid