No. of Recommendations: 0
Holy cow! I'd hate to stumble on something like that while I'm hiking. That video showed how difficult it would be to get away from them. You'd most likely be dead.

We were always taught to dive to the ground if pursued by wasps, hornets or bees, apparently because they are color blind and can't distinguish you from the ground. I don't know if that is true or not but it has worked for me every time I've hit the dirt to avoid them.

I've had my fair share of encounters with them. Living on acreage all my life, I average 2 or 3 stings per year just while doing yard work. Then another 1 or 2 from the hiking I do.

I once sat on a bench that had a nest underneath. By the time I got away and dove to the ground, I got 13 stings, mostly on my back where they chased me as I ran. It made me sick for about 1/2 a day.

One time I was trimming a tree and a large nest was just on the other side of the branch I was cutting. The next thing I know, I get hit in the face at least a dozen times by wasps flying at me. At 1st, I did not know what they were. I was so close to the nest, yet hidden by a branch, that they apparently did not have enough time to react and sting me. Scared the pants off me as I jumped off the ladder and dove to the ground. Not one sting. I was lucky.

As a kid, I was climbing a tree once, slowly inching my way out on a large limb. I looked up and saw the largest freaking nest ever. Bigger than the size of a typical football. There were hundreds of the yellow jackets just sitting there, poised with wings stretched out to attack me if I got any closer. You can always tell when they are about to launch. I slowly inched my way back down and get away. Another lucky one.

I hate those miserable b@st@rds as much as fire ants. I know they are good. But once you get stung by one of them, you hate them. Everytime it happens to me, I go on an hour long quest to erradicate every one of them I can find from my property and I enjoy every kill. ;)

Metal
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.