Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I just found out that my recorder teacher is a sex offender.....

I noticed a fellow at a 12 step meeting that used to work at the co. a long long long time ago, and his name and pic were in the paper about a decade or so ago for being a pedophile. So seeing him at the meeting creeped me out so I looked on sex offender website to see if he lived near me. I didn't see his name but I saw my teachers name and photo.

now what the heck am I'm to do with this information? He's about 65, website didn't what kind of sex crime, I can surely find out I suppose.

crap!
Print the post Back To Top
that didn't take long.....forcible sodomy/aggravated sex battery back in 1996. he's 66 yrs.

dog help me.
Take up a collection and put his picture on a billboard in the neighbornood. That should do it.
well he lives not too far away, but he's my recorder class teacher/conductor and I like this class.

He takes care of his mother who lives out of town, she broke a hip or something.

I dunno....this is very disturbing. I'm sure if they found out at the Osher place, they'd boot him out, quietly of course. I suspect he may be into boys....who knows? The class is made up of senior adults, not kids and no kids at Osher place.

no kids really in my neighborhood, perhaps where he lives I dunno.

Nice guy, kinda shy and withdrawn but loves music and he did really enjoy Billy Elliott, going to many, many, many shows out of town. The class took a trip to go see it last yr. in fact. He was my seatmate on the bus and in the theatre. A Mr. Milquetoast kind of fellow.

why me? I have a selfish reason not to do something but then again it creeps me out. Incident happened 16 yrs ago but I don't think they change unless ....well ugh!
No. of Recommendations: 4
Try to take your personal feelings out of it.

You like his class. That's not important to your community.

It creeps you out. That's not important to your community either.

These things are important to you, but they blind you to what may be important overall.

If he is a real danger to your community, then he should be outed.

If he is not dangerous, then maybe he should be left alone.

I don't envy you your position.

Good luck with it.

Rip
thank you rip....it's a tough one to ponder over.
No. of Recommendations: 2
thank you rip....it's a tough one to ponder over.
---------------

I hesitated adding this, but you never know what really went on. We had a guy on that list living a few house down the street, but when you looked up what he did, all it said was messing with a minor. There was no way to know if someone lied about their age and the guy thought he wasn't doing wrong or if he was messing with an 8 year old. Same in your case - maybe he thought it was consensuel or maybe he is rotton b@stard.

arrete
No. of Recommendations: 1
I hesitated adding this, but you never know what really went on.

I ditto this sentiment. Seen too many stories of the day after the once willing partner claims rape for whatever reason; parents caught them, they sobered up, not enough dollars left on the nightstand.

You could just be straight forward and ask the person, saying you saw their pic on such and such a sight. What gives?

JLC
You're right I don't know what went on but I do know he was conviced of two sex crimes and he is listed as a violent offender. Age of victim was listed as unknown. He lives close by and there is a childcare center within walking distance of his house. He is listed as self employed and bought a short sale house back in 2010. He has an old beater car and the house is rather modest but big fenced in backyard.

I've found this info but I can't find if he spent time in prison for it or not.

Again, I ask, what would y'all do if you were in my shoes?

I want him as a teacher/conductor of group and as long as he's not a danger to anyone, I'm ok...but I've never known anyone on the registry before and so it's alarming.

I'm keeping it under my hat. I just wish I didn't know.
Since you don't have children, I don't think your teacher's psychosis is relevant to you.
I'm keeping it under my hat. I just wish I didn't know.

I would certainly share your wish. It is a burden, it was unfortunate

Someone earlier suggested you just ask him, that may be the best advice available.

God forbid it is something bad, and something happens and you did nothing, how would you feel about yourself? That is not meant as a you should do XYZ, it is an honest suggestion. Would you carry guilt with you, or would you shake it off? If you would carry it -- then you really should confront, if not then your options are less clear cut.

There is a very good chance it is something innocent, girl was 17 looked 27 and he was 20 -- or some other innocuous circumstance.

As a parent? I would have to know personally. I am pretty open minded, though I enjoy my Fool persona<grin>, but if someone messed with kids? You just do not mess up a kids life and ever deserve normal again.

I truly feel for your situation it is tough
hi low

I can't see me asking him about it. Talk about an awkward conversation, no I'm sorry, right now, I couldn't do that. I'm afraid he'd come after me. I'm the one that knows. If I let others know, it's going to be strictly anonymously.

I would feel awful if a child was abused. Parents should visit these registries to see if offenders are in the area.

Apparently they must renew their registrations as his was earlier this month.
I can't see me asking him about it. Talk about an awkward conversation, no I'm sorry, right now, I couldn't do that. I'm afraid he'd come after me. I'm the one that knows. If I let others know, it's going to be strictly anonymously.

I certainly do not blame you one bit. It is a very nasty situation you face.

Sometimes being a guy, is a distinctly different experience and this is certainly one of them. I fully understand your point. I would also be extremely slow to tell anyone else, and as you said anonymously if I did at all.

Part of me feels for folks on the registry, it is a good idea gone bad. While some folks do belong on it, others have their lives destroyed by a mistake that should be gone after the debt to society thing. I have a similar problem with someone's criminal record in general keeping them from so many jobs.

Again, good luck, this is just such a tough one, now that my daughter is grown, I will make it a point NOT to look at the registry ever again!
but I do know he was conviced of two sex crimes and he is listed as a violent offender.

Once is an incident, twice is a trend.
but I do know he was conviced of two sex crimes and he is listed as a violent offender.
-------------------
Once is an incident, twice is a trend.
================

I think it was all at the same time. Two different charges; one incident.

arrete
ry to take your personal feelings out of it.

You like his class. That's not important to your community.

It creeps you out. That's not important to your community either.

These things are important to you, but they blind you to what may be important overall.

If he is a real danger to your community, then he should be outed.

If he is not dangerous, then maybe he should be left alone.

I don't envy you your position.

Good luck with it.

Rip

I basically agree with this point of view, except I'd say that if LD was able to find him on a sex offender website, then he already was "outed". So what more needs to be done, exactly? I'd venture that nothing is likely to happen in a group setting like recorder class, especially if it's mostly seniors.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I hesitated adding this, but you never know what really went on. We had a guy on that list living a few house down the street, but when you looked up what he did, all it said was messing with a minor. There was no way to know if someone lied about their age and the guy thought he wasn't doing wrong or if he was messing with an 8 year old. Same in your case - maybe he thought it was consensuel or maybe he is rotton b@stard.

arrete

When I was 23 I "messed" with a guy I met through a personal ad who told me he was 22. He looked that age to me, and I never questioned it. It was just a one-shot deal and I never saw him again. This was back in 1984. Many years later, in the internet age, one day for some reason I looked up his name online and -- I don't remember how -- I found out his age, did the math, and realized he was only 17 at the time I had met him. I never would have guessed. And that means that back in 1984, I unwittingly committed a felony (which it was in Ohio where I lived at the time). So I could have ended up on a sex offender list if it had ever come to light, but didn't by the grace of God. These things do happen.
I'd venture that nothing is likely to happen in a group setting like recorder class, especially if it's mostly seniors.

This subject is tricky for all of us, but LD is facing it. We know no-ones worried about the seniors in the class.

Maybe he just made a mistake and his debt is paid, but two counts of aggravated is not re-assuring, and why did he go see Billy Elliot multiple times, the choreography?

If I had kids and lived nearby, I'd be screaming, fair or not.

Rip
I'd venture that nothing is likely to happen in a group setting like recorder class, especially if it's mostly seniors.

This subject is tricky for all of us, but LD is facing it. We know no-ones worried about the seniors in the class.

Maybe he just made a mistake and his debt is paid, but two counts of aggravated is not re-assuring, and why did he go see Billy Elliot multiple times, the choreography?

If I had kids and lived nearby, I'd be screaming, fair or not.

Rip

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and the word that screams out to me is that he is listed as VIOLENT.

eek!

In the meantime, I have had other issues come up taking precedence now concerning property and titling of said properties which are incorrect and it may cause some legal and other wrangling. Another opportunity for growth! :)

arrete

When I was 23 I "messed" with a guy I met through a personal ad who told me he was 22. He looked that age to me, and I never questioned it. It was just a one-shot deal and I never saw him again. This was back in 1984. Many years later, in the internet age, one day for some reason I looked up his name online and -- I don't remember how -- I found out his age, did the math, and realized he was only 17 at the time I had met him. I never would have guessed. And that means that back in 1984, I unwittingly committed a felony (which it was in Ohio where I lived at the time). So I could have ended up on a sex offender list if it had ever come to light, but didn't by the grace of God. These things do happen.
andrew

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
well andrew, I know this may shock others but something similar happened to me when I was 20 or 21 with a male guy friend who told me he was 18 and it turned out he was younger. We had been pals and were smoking dope one night and things got carried away, it was a mutual thing but I found out later he was younger than he said, it happened one time. Ugh! I'm not proud of it and I pray he didn't have any psychological problems because of it.

And I'm aware that I too could be on that list because of this.

crap!

LuckyDog

heading up to high tech vet with Sweetum's for checkup in a few minutes.
I pray he didn't have any psychological problems because of it.

Not likely, in my humble opinion.