Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i know that the Holy Grail [cure] is still a ways off, but i am hoping for a non-invasive blood-sugar test. i heard rumours of an IR device that reads blood sugar through the skin of the finger. Is that device available? If not, is it anywhere near available?

i was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about a year ago. i work with my fingertips, throwing pottery. i am wondering if frequent energy ups and downs are blood-sugar-related, but don't want to stab myself up to 10 times a day to find out. My physician says my 90-day average blood sugar is OK on 500 mg glucophage once per day.

cassandra

/**/
Print the post Back To Top
Cassandra--
I've heard about the IR device; not on the market yet, don't think.

Keep in mind you don't have to use your fingertips. I use a little device called the Vaculance....simple to use, twenty-bucks....which can take from other areas. (When I can, like at home, I just use my stomach; hell, there's certainly enough area to choose from......). My meter, the Glucometer Elite (now called something else? Anyway, fairly common) by Bayer; Bayer also makes the Vaculance, I think ;but anyway, FDA HAS approved the use of both of them together for non-fingertip sticking. My experience with them has been good...unlike with a couple other non-fingertip setups I tried, where I couldn't trust the readings.

You don't say what your HbA1c reading (that 90-day average) is; it's important that you know that, and know what it is every quarter.

JP
I have often wondered why they can take a sample for a DNA paternity test by swabbing inside your cheek, but they have to take blood sugar by finger sticking.

J.P.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Because blood sugar is dissolved in your blood and you need actual blood to measure it.

Cheek swabs are for gathering some loose cells from the inside of your mouth: you can get DNA out of any cell in your body (and this is just an easy way to get some without hurting the person) but it won't tell you the composition of your blood.

np
I use the Freestyle tester on my arms. Even at a setting of 3 (range 1-5), I can barely feel it. And I have fibromyalgia, so my body tissue is extremely tender and sensitive. What I find causes more discomfort is actually pressing the device against my arm AFTER the needle has penetrated, in order to encourage a larger drop of blood to form. And the rubbing and some slapping I do beforehand to warm the surface and bring more blood to the surface.