Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The trip to NZ felt too short(at about 25 days) but it was good. The biking is pretty much like mountain biking in the US - on tracks or gravel roads and the weather, particularly the wind can make it more difficult. I got to bike with friends I made on last year's trip and got to meet another set for dinner the night before I left.

It is a long trip so definitely worth staying for awhile there. Also, it is pretty easy and fairly cheap to fly around inside NZ. I did drive from Queenstown to Wanaka and back to the Queenstown airport. Against conventional wisdom, there was no additional cost to pick up the car in Queenstown and return it to the airport. Hertz is a thousand times better outside the US.

Driving in NZ -don't unless you have to especially if you aren't used to driving on the left. At least double the times your are thinking because outside of the biggest cities, you are on two-lane roads. I am used to mountain roads but it still took a fair amount of effort for my drive and the concentration meant I wasn't looking at any views. For comparison, it was like driving over Berthoud pass with two narrow lanes the whole way and about double the number of hairpin turns.

One of the best things is charging something and seeing how much less it was in US dollars when checking the account online. Not sure about next year because I have another adventure on deck that may impact it but we'll see.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.