Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
That y’all have used and that you were satisfied with their services during a disaster or other problem.

I want to change from Travelers which is cheap and I get it through GEICO but I had a very unsatisfactory experience from them and cheap or not, I want to get another company.

I see in Consumer Reports reviews and the Top 4 for customer satisfaction are Amica, USAA(Military or Govt or close relative gets USAA Home Insurance, otherwise you get Liberty Mutual which is low ranked by CU), Auto-Owners and Erie.

So I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with filing claims with any homeowner insurance policy and were you satisfied or not?

Thanks.
LD
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Erie Insurance has a good rep - but I have not used them. I typically use the
company that I have auto insurance with and have used Fireman's Fund, Nationwide and
currently Liberty Mutual. We have had claims with Nationwide and Liberty Mutual and both
were handled without difficulty.

Howie52

We lived in Erie, Pa for a while and knew many folks who insured with the local firm.
We never heard a bad word about them but most of the folks who we knew directly used
them for life insurance products as I recall.
No. of Recommendations: 3
We've been with State Farm for years, only small incidents, bathroom fire, auto collisions and the agent and company have been responsive and speedy

More major was my BIL's complete home loss in the Fountaingrove area of Santa Rosa, CA, they had just paid the place off, and boosted/updated their coverage as they'd done extensive, expensive kitchen, bath remodels. Very responsive, State Farm covered the temporary housing, in relatively equivalent housing until they could sort it out. Initially handed them a check for the structure loss, a little later on the contents loss.. Well covered, it let them buy another home, rather than rebuild, remodeling it continues, but they've already re-landscaped, and re-floored the new place. It had been occupied by a elderly lady and her driver/helper, but as it turned out all the appliances, as well as the flooring had to go.. A large outdoor cooking area, patio had to go, fences updated, now an aviary is going in as they finish up the bathroom remodels. Anyway State Farm came through on all but the lost artworks, collections, but a payment settled on was fair, without an itemized inventory, as they had begun to do.. Again, maybe it was the agent, but it all worked well..

I've other friends, even my cardiologist who lost the homes in the same fire, all high end homes, and have progressed into rebuilds, move-ins, but I don't know their insurance companies..
So I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with filing claims with any homeowner insurance policy and were you satisfied or not?

I have filed two claims over the 20 years I've own this house. One was for damaged hardwood floors from a leaking dishwasher and one was for repair hail damage to the roof. I have State Farm and they were easy to work with.

Many of my neighbors have had their shingles replaced from a hail storm. USAA was the only one I know that would not approve doing the replacement.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 3
State Farm and after seeing them in action after 2 tornadoes, I would never consider changing companies.
I have never had a homeowners claim but did have 1 Erie Auto claim. They took care of everything and made it painless.
I've been very happy with Amica: 3 auto accidents and Hurricane Harvey, which contributed one flooded house and one drowned car.

Karen
we had USAA and they were twice the amount in cost then commence. pay off claims faster than USAA. I guess the thing that got to us was when in mid year they sent us a bill for $600 more because they could raise rates.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I like Safeco, had a combined auto/ home incident a couple of years ago in the 180k range. At the same time they were working on some of the massive CA wildfires, 1000's homes lost. They did well.
I do NOT recommend Allstate. It would take too long to describe the hassles I had with my hail-damaged roof.

I work in insurance, on the commercial side. USAA has, I believe, the highest Net Promoter Score among personal lines carriers. Chubb, historically, has always been known for exceptional claims service, but I think they were acquired a few years ago,so that may have changed.

I used to have Farmers and had a small claim with them--they were good.

Look at your state's department of insurance website. Someplace on there is an aggregation of information about complaints and issues with carriers. That can tell you a lot.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I do NOT recommend Allstate. It would take too long to describe the hassles I had with my hail-damaged roof.

My grandfather had a hard time getting a claim paid back in the 60s. The story I was told was that he stormed out of the agent's office and told the people in the waiting area, "You're in good hands alright...good hands for an (eff)ing."
My insurance agent told me once that if I someday left for another company she’d understand “but just not Allstate. Know why they’re cheap? They never pay claims. It’s imaginary insurance!”

Dang.....

Y’all can’t get my insurance it’s only for Alabama....ALFA.
After the fires in California, I wonder how satisfied home owners are with their insurance coverage. Did they pay? Fair amounts? And how many are still in negotiations with the insurance company.

Usually the insurance company maintains that most of the value of your property in is the building lot. Their settlement offer is based on square footage of your buildings and average construction costs in your area plus an allowance of contents based on that estimate. If you had replacement value insurance you got full coverage; if not the offer was reduced for depreciation.

If you had recently updated your coverage, had extra riders for contents, had proof of content ownership, you were much better off. But if insurance was based on construction cost and not updated, you could really get hurt.

Then you suspect that some companies were much better than others. Minor claims are not a good measure of how they handle major disasters.