Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband is a radiologist whose hospital location is 100 mls from home. To read xrays by teleradiology he must have a direct line, not through a hotel system. He rents a townhouse beside his hospital so he can read xrays when on call during the week. Week-ends he drives home and when on call,friday through monday morn, he reads xrays there.last week-end for instance he had 7 during the night, also in hospital reading. Can he deduct his rental unit plus home office thereby giving car deductions? He his technically seeing patients at all locations.
Print the post Back To Top
My husband is a radiologist whose hospital location is 100 mls from home. To read xrays by teleradiology he must have a direct line, not through a hotel system. He rents a townhouse beside his hospital so he can read xrays when on call during the week. Week-ends he drives home and when on call,friday through monday morn, he reads xrays there.last week-end for instance he had 7 during the night, also in hospital reading. Can he deduct his rental unit plus home office thereby giving car deductions? He his technically seeing patients at all locations

Unless this were a temporary situation, it appears that your husband's tax home is where he works. Visits home would be a personal expense. He may be able to deduct office in home expense, if he otherwise qualifies, for that percentage of the townhouse devoted exclusively to business. Transportation in line with his work would be deductible, from that point on.

You say he has a townhouse next to the hospital. In that case, I would assume he just walks to work. In case of your home, you qualify the statement by saying "when on call", that could mean once a month, twice a year, or any intervening period. I hesitate to give you an answer, in that regard. But, in order for any employee expense to be deductible, it must be required by the employer and not just helpful in the performance of ones duties. In other words, unless he has a private practice at the second and third locations, or he is required to maintain an office in each of those places,there could be no deduction.

I hope I've addressed the situation fully. Perhaps someone else will chime in with their thoughts. At any rate, I don't want to leave you just hanging. If any more questions come to mind, that you believe might help in justifying such a claim, fire away!!=:)

"Jack"
Thanks for the help Jack. My husband works approx 18-22 weekends/holidays. He has to be in the close proximity of his computer 24/24 or in the hospital 24/24. The on call is for "emergencies. He works 2 hospitals and his townhouse is approx. 3 miles from 1 hospital. I read that if you needed an office in your vacation home you were able to deduct it. He actually spends more nights at the townhouse, he's also on call minimum of 2 week nights also.He is a sole practitioner in a group practice so the requirements are hospital based, ie. group coverage 24/7.