Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Seems like every one of these situations is different (and a bit confusing.)

My wife and I are retired now and our only source of income is Social Security, two very small pensions and what I can make investing on-line. We live in a fairly large house with a son and there is an office built as almost a separate room and used exclusively for my "work" (and a little email and surfing.) I'm reasonable sure I could figure a prorate scheme to take into account the non-income use and figure out all the costs including such things as fiber optic internet line, computer, supplies and so forth.

I actually did this when I worked as an independent consultant, claimed it and had not questions.

My question to you today is would it be worth doing this this year and in future years? My worry is that home offices wave a red flag on the exception checks and I might have to argue and end up losing anyway.

What do you think?

-- Dale in Woodville

One more data point, I try to adjust my cap gains and dividends so that I can stay below the AMT threshold. So we're not talking about a huge amount of tax in any case.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.