Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello all,
I have a little bit of a strange situation.
My wife and i are both considered self-employed. She has been awarded an NRC research fellowship and i am doing some consulting/finishing grad. school. We currently are maintaining two apartments in different cities and i commute on the weekends and when free.

1.)Can we have two home offices?
2.)If i have one home office with her, then can i deduct my transportation to my second job (grad. student where i am paid)even though we would have two homes?
3.)Is it ok to have two vehicles under different deduction schemes? Last year i deducted mileage for my car,but this year we got her a new one and since she has very little mileage in her work, i was thinking about trying to deduct the expenses on hers.

Any other suggestions for deductions would be most appreciated(meals if we discuss work,internet connections,...). I do not mind paying taxes, but do not like paying half of my income.

Still learning to be more Foolish,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.