Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hook,

Thanks for the review of "On Writing." It's been a couple of years since I had read King's excellent handbook and your review has inspired me to re-read it.

As an aspiring writer, I enjoy such works that give you pointers on how to go about the process of writing, as well as those that allow you to be there at the creation of the story as well, such as Christopher Tolkien's multi-volume set on his father's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. When you see the amount of care and correction that Tolkien put into his masterpiece, it makes you wish other authors would take the same care.

It was with such thoughts that I hoped John Steinbeck's "Working Days" would fall somewhere in between the two types above, giving us an idea of how he went about writing "The Grapes of Wrath" as well as the inspirations for it. Yet it was more of a diary that I found plodding. There was more on his buying his ranch house than on what seed germinated to create "Grapes."

Thanks again for your review.

Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.