Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Maybe it was too good to be true...after a year, the music lesson business was breaking even, with more customers signing up each week.

Then, we got a letter from the property manager telling us that the property tax (which we tenants pay as part of the CAM/NNN charges) increased dramatically, which resulted in an immediate rent increase of $100 per month. Well, that sucks, but we could stomach that much.

But then I received an email message from the same property manager telling us that they miscalculated, and the increase will be more like $500 per month.

I simply don't know where that money will come from. Our annual business insurance premium is due Nov 1 as well, and this is enough to break our back.

The management is appealing the property tax increase, which I understand is several times higher than it was last year. We're renting a new complex, so this is only the second year these suites have been in use. We rented based on the NNN rates that were quoted when we signed the lease, and included a clause that prohibited the landlord from raising the NNN components that they could control by more than 5% per year. However, the property tax is the one part that they can't control.

But I've never heard of a property tax hike like this. I believe the annual tax on the complex went from a few thousand to $30,000 in one fell swoop.

Has anybody dealt with this? Should we call a lawyer?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.