Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
One ray of hope in the great student loan farce is House Resolution 436 which is a bill being introduced in Congress by Reps. Phil English(R-PA) and Kenny Hulshof (R-MO). The new legislation would allow any student loan payment to be deducted. I know that we have some form of limited student loan deduction now ( but not after making 40,000 for you single people out there and 60,000 for us married) 436 would move those limits up allowing you to make 100,000 for single filers and 150,000 for us married. That means you could actually earn a living and still get a deduction. Also, 436 would allow a higher limit for the maximum you can deduct (current max deduction is 2,500) and allow you to take the deduction for as long as you are paying on the loan (current time limit is 60 months)
So in short all I can say is GO 436. I hope it passes for all of us getting pounded by student loans.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.