Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
MIL is hiring a part time aide. The aide will be working about 30 hours a month. I wasn't involved in the intial interviews. The one selected isn't working for an agency. It has been very difficult to get my MIL to accept that she needs help and find someone that she will let into the house. Dealing with tax issues will be much simpler.

I should have sent questions for the interview, but that is history. Now, I just need to understand what needs to be done.

Are household employees normally issued W-2? It looks like for federal FICA, FUTA and Medicare are handled with the employers tax return. California would require withholding of SDI. If based only on this income, state and federal tax withholding should be very low. A W4 would be needed to obtain her SSN and withholding information.

My MIL is not her only client.

If she has setup a business does it change the reporting?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.