No. of Recommendations: 0
Housing is not an investment. It's an expense.

Sure, if you rent. But like any other investment, when you own a home it can either appreciate in value or decline, just like stocks. In the case of real estate there is at least a fixed benefit of alternative value as housing. Try finding some benefit to a stock when it tanks.

If you make money on your home, you are lucky.

I don't sneer at "luck," but I've always defined luck as having the smarts to recognize an opportunity and the chutzpa to take advantage of it. We have lived in some places where we decided not to buy...the numbers dictated the risk was too high, but even when I "lost" money on the sale of a property, if I factored in the rent I would have otherwise paid, I was far ahead. Or I rented the property out until the market rebounded to the point where we made money.

The mistake is in letting a house own you...owning more house than you can comfortably afford. This restricts your ability to wait for a better market to sell. I've done the same with stocks...held on to them until a rebound happens. Just make sure your options are open.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.