Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Given the Un Port's natural affinity for out of favor sectors/industries, I've long looked at housing-related investments. And while I have a few on the short list, I'm still not convinced the dynamics of the supply/demand situation bode well for such investments.

But Whirlpool (NYSE: WHR) may buck this trend given its exposure to other, secular trends. The company will benefit from the emerging middle class in foreign markets -- getting a sales boost from general GDP growth as well as household penetration (as newly-minted middle class folk can finally afford a refrigerator or washing machine).

It also strikes me as a tangential play on rising food costs. This may be a stretch -- it is very tangential. But the intrinsic value of leftovers increases as food costs rise, and refrigerators (as well as Tupperware NYSE:TUP) play a role in keeping food fresh. I said it was a stretch.

I declared WHR shares not cheap enough at $92, but they've since fallen to $80. I'm going to tighten up my valuation work today and see what it tells me. The company's great brands are underappreciated, I think, but I'll still demand a reasonable margin of safety given the low margins inherent in the business.

Bryan
TMF42
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.