Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A friend of mine went car shopping the other week. She found a lot with cars absolutely crammed onto it, so it would have been exceedingly difficult to get one out for a test drive without moving about 10 others.

She actually stopped there because she saw one she liked and wanted to test drive it. So the salesman presented her with a contract, to be signed BEFORE she took the car for a drive, and told her they would just tear it up if she decided she didn't want the car after driving it.

After she determined that yes, he actually was serious, she walked away. But I wonder how many cars this place has actually sold (I've driven past it, and it's been there for several years), whether this is a new thing they are trying, or whether they just figured because she was cute, single and blonde they'd try it on.

Primm
*amazed*
Print the post Back To Top
We've got a used car lot like that, too, Primm!

I have no idea what this guy thinks of himself or his business, but I could probably increase his business by at least 50% by reducing his inventory by 50%.

You cannot walk around a car. You cannot see a "complete" car. If you want to drive one, you have to move three. He should probably have at least a third fewer cars, but he probably thinks he's increasing his chances of having something you want, or something. The whole place just looks trashy and uninviting as you drive by, to me.
No. of Recommendations: 4
"the salesman presented her with a contract, to be signed BEFORE she took the car for a drive, and told her they would just tear it up if she decided she didn't want the car after driving it."

It's just one of a million ruses used car salesmen, (and yes, new car dealers too) use against customers. The most common is to ask a buyer to give a check for a downpayment, so the salesman can "show the manager that you're serious". This puts the buyer in the awkward position of having to ask for his check back (or, in your friend's case, the signed contract) if for any reason the buyer decides against making the purchase, and that's when the hard pressure and intimidation comes in. This is when the buyer finds out that the manager who has the check/contract/whetever is gone to lunch, gone to a funeral, gone for the week, etc. You just have to have as thick a skin as they do, and let it roll off you. It's an extremely filthy business.

Q: How do you know if a car salesman is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

~aj
What dealer?
Please name names so the rest of us can avoid them

BJ
Don't think you need to worry too much - it's in Brisbane, Australia. I wouldn't imagine any of you guys will be coming over here to buy a car any time soon - even if we do get the cool stuff like Skylines and Silvias.

Primm
*willing to host anyone who DOES want to head down this way, though*