Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I should get at least one rec - from Art. <g>

>> Capitalism has its weaknesses. But it is capitalism that ended the stranglehold of the hereditary aristocracies, raised the standard of living for most of the world and enabled the emancipation of women. The routine defamation of capitalism by armchair leftists in academe and the mainstream media has cut young artists and thinkers off from the authentic cultural energies of our time.
we live in a strange and contradictory culture, where the most talented college students are ideologically indoctrinated with contempt for the economic system that made their freedom, comforts and privileges possible. In the realm of arts and letters, religion is dismissed as reactionary and unhip. The spiritual language even of major abstract artists like Piet Mondrian, Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko is ignored or suppressed.

Thus young artists have been betrayed and stunted by their elders before their careers have even begun. Is it any wonder that our fine arts have become a wasteland? <<
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044422310457803...

arrete
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The routine defamation of capitalism by armchair leftists in academe and the mainstream media has cut young artists and thinkers off from the authentic cultural energies of our time." - arrete

I never experienced that. I went off to college and never left. I attended both the University of Georgia and the University of Tennessee and never experienced this defamation ya'll believe exists. Not only did I attended two major Universities but afterwards I worked at the Uni. of GA School of Pharmacy and the Uni. of TN College of Vet Medicine. We never talked about politics nor was it mentioned. It just wasn't an issue.

In fact at the University of Tennessee one of my benefits was that I was allowed to take 8 semester hours for free every semester and I fully took advantage of that opportunity. At the end of my career I have over 300+ semester and quarter hours of classes spread out in several different disciplines. Still, politics, liberalism, etc. just wasn't an issue. Never mentioned.

Art
"I should get at least one rec - from Art. <g>" - arrete

I gave you a rec because my name is in the title, not that I agree. Where I went to school and worked it didn't exist. It was a non-issue. Never mentioned once.

Art
I never experienced that. I went off to college and never left. I attended both the University of Georgia and the University of Tennessee and never experienced this defamation ya'll believe exists. Not only did I attended two major Universities but afterwards I worked at the Uni. of GA School of Pharmacy and the Uni. of TN College of Vet Medicine. We never talked about politics nor was it mentioned. It just wasn't an issue.

Oh, I've seen it, heard it and experienced it big time here at UofM.

When I was a student (1996-2001) Clinton was President (Bush when I graduated) so I went through two Presidential elections as an undergrad. I was a member of the College Republicans, and things got very testy for us during the Clinton/Dole campaign. Besides being called Nazis by the editor of the campus paper (we chalked the Diag on the same night as the LGBT group did, apparently our chalking on their pink triangle was a "hate crime" in their eyes, lol!) and one of my professors flat out said in class that if a Republican was ever elected President he'd turn this country into a penal colony. This wasn't a Poli Sci class, but rather a Medieval European History class so it wasn't at all related to the course material. He just really hated Republicans.

To be fair there wasn't a ton of this kind of stuff from the professors (the student body was predominantly leftist, so tons of it from them) but of all the political incidents from profs (one had us go out to the Diag to see the Rev. Jessie Jackas... er, Jackson give a speech, it was an English class so, again, not related to the subject material!) I don't recall any that were anti-lefty but plenty that were anti-Conservative/Capitalist/Republican etc.

You didn't even have to go to class to see this stuff. I started working full time for the campus police in 2000, working midnights patrolling buildings/campus. I walked through pretty much every building on campus, seeing almost every office door. Lots of them had postings on them. Sometimes they were comics related to whatever was going on in there (lots of good physics comics!) or research papers the occupants were cited in, but there were plenty of political postings as well. I saw maybe a handful of Bush stickers, and most of them were on the doors of Conservative student groups (like the College Republicans who had an office in the Michigan Union) or in the Business School, but you better believe I saw lots and lots and LOTS of Gore stickers, pro-affirmiative action petitions, etc. The Law School was decked out like Gore campaign headquarters based on the stickers and the writing on the "free speech board" (anyone who dared write anything pro-Conservative would get a LOT of responses, PA-type lefty drivel).

Working here I still hear a lot of political talk. A lot of the patrol officers are conservatives, but most of those who work in the offices/dispatch are liberal, some extremely so. I'm one of the rare exceptions of a person who isn't in patrol who is a hard-core conservative. They all know where I stand, most of them are friends on FB and, of course, they see my postings (I've been thrashing Social Security on my wall lately) but by and large we don't talk about it too much at work. But every now and again...

And this is one of the few places on campus you'll find anything close to a majority of conservatives all in one place. That may be part of the reason I work here in fact.
"I was a member of the College Republicans, and things got very testy for us during the Clinton/Dole campaign." - colovion

I didn't have time for those kinds of shenanigans. I was too busy working and taking classes. I worked on the weekends on Bill Moore's Dairy Farm and during the week when I wasn't in class I worked at the Tobacco Laboratory at USDA Russell Research Center. My boss was Dr. Fred Haeberer. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive? I was just a kid. My freshman year I worked downstairs in the Food Science Building in the abattoir.

I was even busier after I got married because not only did I work and go to school but I butchered animals for hunters at Church. During the fall I butchered and cut up up to 15 deer every year. I got married my Sophomore year in College. Bonnie and I really enjoyed our Church and had lots of friends there so we were really active at our church.

I was an animal/agriculture science guy. After we moved from Married Student Housing into an old house on Hancock street I got homing pigeons and grew tomatoes and peppers and I got two English Springer Spaniels and we took trips to Florida and to visit Bonnie's parents during the holidays. I don't remember ever thinking about politics. It was the furthest thing from my mind.

I hardly paid attention in Political Science class during my Freshman year which was probably why I made a D in it. I thought it was boring as hell. I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go out chasing girls. My grades shot up after I got married. It was the best thing for me.

And I still think politics is boring. I don't understand why ya'll find it so fascinating. Studying about meat and homing pigeons is a whole lot more interesting.

Art
I didn't have time for those kinds of shenanigans. I was too busy working and taking classes. I worked on the weekends on Bill Moore's Dairy Farm and during the week when I wasn't in class I worked at the Tobacco Laboratory at USDA Russell Research Center. My boss was Dr. Fred Haeberer. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive? I was just a kid. My freshman year I worked downstairs in the Food Science Building in the abattoir.

I had a work-study job... with the campus police (lol)! In fact I started working for the campus police as a "Student Assistant Field Employee" (SAFEs they called us, student interns basically) before I started taking classes. I applied during summer orientations, got hired, got to move into the residence hall early and was out on the Diag registering bikes for an event called FestiFall before classes started.

My main job was to work "Union Access". The Michigan Union is the main student commons building on campus. On weekends many events were held there, mostly by the Black Greek Association because they didn't have the huge frat houses that the "traditional" frats had around campus (not on campus, none of them were or are on campus thankfully!) so they held their parties in the Union's ballroom. These parties would attract a lot of "non-affiliates" (non-students who would drive in from Ypsi or Detroit mainly) and every now and again there was violence so a rule was instituted where if you were a non-affiliate you had to be signed in by a UofM student, staff or faculty member. They could only sign in two people each. We'd have booths at the doors and we'd check everyone's ID entering the building, making them sign in with someone if they weren't affiliated. Once they were in they'd usually get wristbands for entrance into the dance/party so we'd simply waive those people through. This was in the late 90's so it was all done by hand, on paper. This policy was in effect Friday and Saturday nights so that's when I worked, every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm to 1:30am.

Yeah, it sort of put a damper on my social life. I never went to a frat party, went to very few parties period (I worked that job for four of my five years as a student, until I started working full-time for the police and was working midnights so, again, wasn't partying!)

How did I have time for the College Republicans? Well, they did most of their meetings during the week. Due to a fluke there were a five conservatives all near each other in my freshman residence hall house, so we all joined up and ended up being roomates all through college. Of the few parties I did go to most were thrown by College Republican upperclassmen. We had our own broomball team (I was the goalie, got a shut-out one game then got wasted at the CR President's apartment afterwards!) and one of my roommates ended up being the group's Treasurer. In fact I was still on their e-mail list until just recently, lol!

I didn't do too many other extra-curriculars. I had season football and hockey tickets but I had to work at least two football games a year and most hockey games were Friday and Saturday nights so I sold/gave away most of my hockey tickets and a few football tickets. Never was at all interested in basketball (which was fine, our team was terrible when I was a student, still isn't top of the league.) I made most of my money during the summer, when I could work full-time (work-study limits the number of hours you can work while in school.)

As for Political Science, I never even took a Poli Sci class until my fourth year. I was originally a Microbiology major, so taking Poli Sci would have been useless as I was taking History classes already. It wasn't until I switched to History that I could fit Poli Sci into my schedule. I was always interested in the topic but more interested in others (biology, history and English were my favorites).
"As for Political Science, I never even took a Poli Sci class until my fourth year. I was originally a Microbiology major, so taking Poli Sci would have been useless as I was taking History classes already. It wasn't until I switched to History that I could fit Poli Sci into my schedule." - colovion

Political Science 101 was required otherwise I wouldn't have ever taken it. I think I had to have two history classes so I took History 251 + 252 which was History of the United States up to 1865 and then 252 was like History after 1865 till WWII (if I remember correctly?). It was a LONG time ago. Like 40 years ago? Oh my God was it that long ago? God I'm getting old. I know I had Dr. Emory Thomas for the pre civil war history and he had written a book about it and had his own theories about how the South was changed trying to maintain what they had. The very act of trying to save it - changed it.

Once I got into my major my Junior and Senior years in college my grades/GPA shot up. I loved my Animal Science classes. I did horrible my freshman year, a little better my sophmore year, and then my last two years I tore it up and brought up my GPA and made A's and B's my last two years.

Art
Poli Sci wasn't a requirement for anything for me really. When I was a Microbio major I needed X number of humanities credits, he college I was in required four semesters of a foreign language (I chose German) and there was no PE requirement of any kind (Michigan State gas one, UofM doesn't). UofM doesn't have animal science either per se. Michigan State is the agriculture school in Michigan. They also have weird majors like Hospitality and Mortuary Science. None of that at UofM. It's more of the classic curriculum (History, Philosophy, English, etc.) UofM is a lot older than MSU, older than the state of Michigan actually (what would become UofM was founded in 1817, Michigan became a state in 1835).