Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 42
I may regret forever posting this...

I never wanted to be a male cheerleader when I came to college. Like most guys, I thought that it was kind of fruity. Plus, I was the captain of my high school football team...I would never be the tool that stands on the sidelines watching the real football players. Well, the best laid plans of mice and men...

My first year roommate in college was a kid from Long Island (I'll call him T). Even though T was a bit "New Yorky", we were both sarcastic a-holes and made fast friends. Oh, also, this kid was jacked. He must have started working out when he was like 2 years old. He was also 1/2 Egyptian, which made the ladies die for him. I hung out with him just to catch the scraps of ladies that were there to see him. Even the not-so-good-looking ones were pretty good looking. Anyways, as I said before we were fast friends and hung out a fair amount of the time.

Cut to one of those first year mixer things that colleges have to introduce all the scared freshman. T and I went, mainly for the free food. Now cue the female cheerleaders. (Warning: Big surprise coming...) College cheerleading squads generally have trouble recruiting dudes. With the exceptions of maybe a very few, very weird dudes, no one comes in to college actually wanting to be a male cheerleader. So like any other organization, they recruit. But they have one recruiting advantage over many organizations, and that is that their chicks are smokin hot. They use this to their full advantage. The females dress up in their skimpiest cheerleading uniforms and flirt with the dudes that they think might make good cheerleaders, all the while trying to get them to come try out for the team.

Of course, they thought T would be perfect. They picked him out of the crowd and started to talk to him about coming out for cheerleading. Oh, and I happened to be there too. "Oh, you look like you probably wouldn't kill yourself trying out, so I guess you can come too." Right. So anyways, we talked to them for another 1/2 hour and then left, neither one of us actually intending to go to practice/tryouts. Unfortunately (or fortunately), these ladies can be very persistent. One of them got our dorm phone number through a friend of mine, and called us relentlessly. I mean like 3 times a day. Finally, a few days later, she broke us. Well she broke T. He decided to go down to practice just to shut her up, and that would be that. I still had my dignity, so I told him to have fun.

Later that night, T burst through the door. "So how was it?" "Dude, it was the coolest thing ever! Chicks are over the place, and all you are doing is throwing them above you. And the guys aren't gay!" Well that's good to know. So, having heard all of this, I decided I didn't want to be left out, and headed down to practice the next night. T was right. This crap was fun. I spent the whole night tossing chicks in sports bras and short-shorts over my head. And the guys, surprisingly, were pretty cool. 2 marines, and 3 air force guys, any one of which could've beaten the crap out of me. I was hooked.

The rest, as they say, is history. I decided to take up cheerleading, and I actually had a great time. B/c of cheerleading, I've seen a game on the field in every ACC football stadium, been on the court for an NCAA tournament game, 2 ACC tournaments, been to 2 bowl games (one in Hawaii), and countless other cool things (including dating one of those smokin hot cheerleaders for a year). I had to stop 1/2 way through my junior year, the second time I separated my shoulder. I played football for 8 years and never missed a game. I cheerlead for 2 1/2 years and destroy my body. Go figure.

-CH

ps- Some other loose ends. No, the guys didn't actually have to dance or cheer. Some guys at other school did, but we didn't (thankfully). The coolest stunt a could do was a double cupie, in which I am holding 2 girls over my head at one time, one in each hand. At my peak, I could do a back handspring followed by 2 back tucks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.