No. of Recommendations: 34
This delusional:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732348250457822...

What stunned House Speaker John Boehner more than anything else during his prolonged closed-door budget negotiations with Barack Obama was this revelation: "At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me, 'We don't have a spending problem.' "
-----------------------------------------------------------------
How do you get spending cuts from someone who thinks we don't have a spending problem?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
How Delusional Is Obama?
========================

How stupid is Michael Moore?
No. of Recommendations: 7
We shall see what we shall see. Will the Repubs really allow such a huge cut to defense. Personally, I think you could cut defense spending by 50% without doing any harm to America's national security, but that would require someone with a brain to do the cutting within the defense establishment. On the other hand, I don't think many Repubs in the Senate would allow the cuts because it would mean gigantic job losses in many of their states. I think the unions would go absolutely crazy at the thought of losing of the defense jobs. Bottom line: Neither the Dems nor the Repubs have the guts to stand up and truly cut the deficit in any meaningful way.
Will the Repubs really allow such a huge cut to defense.

Defense should do everything it can to get lean and streamline its operations. Close ancient bases. Close bases in countries that should be defending themselves. Get rid of waste and redundancy. Innovate with a vengeance. Only by doing so do the Republicans have a leg to stand on as they ask other departments to cut.
No. of Recommendations: 12
What stunned House Speaker John Boehner more than anything else during his prolonged closed-door budget negotiations with Barack Obama was this revelation: "At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me, 'We don't have a spending problem'."

This is why budget negotiations should be televised. Let the country see and hear how batsh!t crazy the Spender-in-Chief actually is.
No. of Recommendations: 3
On the other hand, I don't think many Repubs in the Senate would allow the cuts because it would mean gigantic job losses in many of their states.

We talk so much about entitlements here, but another huge drain on the budget is the size of the federal government, and we almost never talk about that. We need to reduce the number of jobs in the federal government. If you think cutting entitlements would be unpopular, just try taking away jobs.

However, it might not be as painful. The President could issue an executive order that no new employees will be hired (without yada yada), and that if you really need an employee, you'll have to poach one from another department. As employees retire, the number of government workers would go down. But of course, the President says that spending is not a problem.

People don't realize that it's not just the salary and benefit increases that government workers get every year, it's the ever-expanding number of employees that are causing the budget to expand.

Isn't it odd how Zero thinks that a jobs bill means hiring more government workers? Sometimes I think the liberals actually believe the government workers contribute to the GDP. Heck, let's just give everyone who wants a job a government job. Problem solved.
No. of Recommendations: 0
However, it might not be as painful. The President could issue an executive order that no new employees will be hired (without yada yada), and that if you really need an employee, you'll have to poach one from another department. As employees retire, the number of government workers would go down. But of course, the President says that spending is not a problem.
--------------

Something like that has been tried in the Pentagon over the years. If someone left, they couldn't be replaced. What they didn't count on was the high turnover in the secretarial staff, and as a result, they soon didn't have any secretaries.

arrete
We shall see what we shall see. Will the Repubs really allow such a huge cut to defense. Personally, I think you could cut defense spending by 50% without doing any harm to America's national security, but that would require someone with a brain to do the cutting within the defense establishment. On the other hand, I don't think many Repubs in the Senate would allow the cuts because it would mean gigantic job losses in many of their states.

Yep wasteful spending on the f-35.
http://boards.fool.com/problems-in-defense-procurment-298370...

Ain't a spendy defense item that a congressperson will vote agin as plants are spread throughout the country. Same story about military bases.

The military brass love to spend big bucks for equipment for large scale land wars. Unfortunately, that ain't the type of wars we will be fighting. It will be insurgent wars. But that doesn't generate much buying of a lot of hardware. Congressperson don't like that as it shuts down plants. Industrial complex doesn't like that as there no expensive equipment to sell. Generals don't like that as they won't git cushy jobs with the industrial-military complex upon retirement.

We also need to study the vulnerability of aircraft carriers with the advent of chins ship killing missiles.
If someone left, they couldn't be replaced. What they didn't count on was the high turnover in the secretarial staff, and as a result, they soon didn't have any secretaries.

Yeah, that's why I included the "yada yada" exception.

I'm sure there's a way to deal with it. Where I worked, they just fired all of the secretaries, and the professionals had to do their own clerical work. :)
What they didn't count on was the high turnover in the secretarial staff, and as a result, they soon didn't have any secretaries.

And, as we know, secretaries run the world. ;-)
No. of Recommendations: 4
Defense should do everything it can to get lean and streamline its operations. Close ancient bases. Close bases in countries that should be defending themselves. Get rid of waste and redundancy. Innovate with a vengeance. Only by doing so do the Republicans have a leg to stand on as they ask other departments to cut.

It will be a cold day in you know where before a large American armed force is sent to a foreign land for any reason. I'm all for national security and a strong defense, but there is simply no need in today's world for the US to maintain the Army we currently have. It could be easily cut by 60% to 70%. Keep the Marines, keep the Air Force, keep the Navy, and of course keep all Special Op forces, but the day of the infantry and huge armored forces is over. The huge trillion-dollar programs for super this and super that can be eliminated or cut. Heck, as soon as the US develops a new weapons system, China and Russia steal it and get the money from selling it around the world. The Repubs should allow the huge across the board cuts in couple of months to just go into force and effect, then watch the Dems piss their pants. Heck, most of the jobs lost will be union jobs anyway, and so much the better.
This is why budget negotiations should be televised.

Didn't he promise to lead 'the most transparent Administration ever'? What happened to that promise? It's probably resting comfortably in a drawer next to the Gitmo closing promise, end of rendition promise and the health-care-debate-on-CSPAN promise. He'll get to them, I'm sure....
"This is why budget negotiations should be televised.

Why?

We'd get a parade of 'witnesses' that tell us you can't cut off their XYZ benefits or 22 kids will starve in their family, or this or that bad will happen.

You'd get 300 parading congressmen and women defending their pork with real tears, telling us how poor Granny Smith and her six kids, 3 in laws, 2 unemployed sisters, 4 unemployed brothers, need the XYZ program just to 'get by' and how you'd put them all on the street, and if you cut Ag programs, 100,000 dairy farmers will go out of business and 100,000 corn farmers will go out of business, etc etc etc.

You won't see any actual negotiations and they always occur in 'meetings' elsewhere.

However, folks should have 5 days to find and delete all the porkulus in the bills.....

t.
We'd get a parade of 'witnesses' that tell us you can't cut off their XYZ benefits or 22 kids will starve in their family, or this or that bad will happen.

No witnesses allowed; only the persuasion powers of our elected officials--tears 'n all.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me, 'We don't have a spending problem.' "

What do you expect?

Obama does not have a college education. Oh he has the degrees but he never did the work, never learned the material, never passed a single class. He does not even understand basic math.

You can't really blame Obama for statements like this. You have to blame a liberal establishment so obsessed with image that they would allow a person like this to get through college without an education and elect him president with no credentials.

You also have to blame America as a whole. America did not even invest enough time to look for the man behind the curtain, they were too enamored with the image of the "Great and Powerful Obama" to look.
No. of Recommendations: 4
The entire Democratic party is delusional! Get a whiff of this "reasoning."

DEMS ON DEBT CEILING: NO CUTS, MORE TAXES

With the fiscal cliff deal signed into law, the nation’s attention now turns to the debt ceiling debate, scheduled to hit in the next two months. As America reaches the debt ceiling yet again – an unbelievable $16.4 trillion debt ceiling needs another increase in order to allow us to borrow more cash to pay our bills – Republicans insist that we finally begin dealing with our spending problem. That, of course, was the purpose of the fiscal cliff deal in the first place: to preserve as many of the Bush tax rates as possible, consider tax rates a finished issue, and move on to spending cuts. As Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said on ABC’s This Week, “The tax issue is finished, over, completed. That’s behind us. Now the question is: what are we going to do about the biggest problem confronting our country and our future? And that’s our spending addiction.”

Not so fast.

The bullies in the Democratic Party have no intention of cutting a single dollar. Instead, they want to tighten their stranglehold on the windpipes of job producers and entrepreneurs. This morning, virtually every Democrat on virtually every Sunday show said the same thing: no cuts, more taxes. So much for the Republican attempt to take the tax discussion off the table.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/01/06/Dems-no-n...
Maybe we should split the country in two, let one side tax the bejeezus out of everyone and the other side can operate in a free market economy. I suppose one side might opt to put up a wall to keep the other citizens out (or keep theirs in).

If only there were some recent example of this sort of experiment being tried...

I can see it now:

0bama: Mr. Reid, put up this wall!
Maybe we should split the country in two, let one side tax the bejeezus out of everyone and the other side can operate in a free market economy. I suppose one side might opt to put up a wall to keep the other citizens out (or keep theirs in).

Maybe, we can try being a Republic?

Then we can have a small footprint central government, doing what only a central government can, and those high tax states can just economically pummel the low tax states and everyone can be happy?
What stunned House Speaker John Boehner more than anything else during his prolonged closed-door budget negotiations with Barack Obama was this revelation: "At one point several weeks ago," Mr. Boehner says, "the president said to me, 'We don't have a spending problem.' "
-----------------------------------------------------------------
How do you get spending cuts from someone who thinks we don't have a spending problem?

=======================
Why was Boehner stunned? I don't recall Boehner - or any Republicans - rising up in outrage when Dick Cheney declared "Deficits don't matter!"

As long as deficits don't matter, there's no spending problem. Or, really, any revenue problem. There's just that darn debt ceiling, and they really ought to quit fighting and get that thing fixed.

Bill
Why was Boehner stunned? I don't recall Boehner - or any Republicans - rising up in outrage when Dick Cheney declared "Deficits don't matter!"

That is as dumb a defense as imaginable and it is dumb on so very many levels.

If this is the best you have to defend Obama, perhaps you might actually try thought, and realize he is not defendable.

there is just so much wrong with this that it is hard to even start. But try with different thought, and different contexts for different times and go from there.

Seriously though, this makes the stuff vkg is drooling seem downright intellectual
How Delusional Is Obama?
========================

How stupid is Michael Moore?

I didn't know you guys were in to Zen Buddhist Koans.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

JLC

Why it is the soundless sound grasshopper. Why are you in darkness grasshopper?
Why is Speaker is talking to president? I thought house is responsible for the spending plans. Come up with a plan to cut the spending that GOP can defend.

Because he cannot. GOP law makers need a straw man to blame and continue their huge spending, rake up huge bills and then throw hissy fit when it is the time to pay for it.

Why would anyone going to take Speaker serious? He cannot deliver anything. President can as well negotiate with me.
Didn't he promise to lead 'the most transparent Administration ever'? What happened to that promise? It's probably resting comfortably in a drawer next to the Gitmo closing promise, end of rendition promise and the health-care-debate-on-CSPAN promise. He'll get to them, I'm sure....

Drawer? Nice euphemism. This "drawer" is currently under at least six feet of dirt. And there's a flat rock on top with someone else's name carved in it.

The master says "Such a stupid question you ask, so I will demonstrate the answer."

And then he, with one hand, claps the student on the side of the head.

(Swiped and paraphrased from, if I remember correctly, a Pratchett book.)
OK, not as funny as the Simpson's episode "Dead Putting Society" (couldn't find it), but surprised that none of you hayseeds replied with a link like this.

JLC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiCafLZYuI
As long as deficits don't matter, there's no spending problem. Or, really, any revenue problem. There's just that darn debt ceiling, and they really ought to quit fighting and get that thing fixed.

Bill

That is one of the main reasons why the Tea Party was started. To get more fiscally minded Republicans and Democrats elected into office.

Perhaps you were not paying attention because you were more interested in bashing the Tea Party as wradical extremists like other liberal losers!

decath
oh no....decath has joined the fad of the week....name change...he can never co back...

t
"OK, not as funny as the Simpson's episode "Dead Putting Society" (couldn't find it), but surprised that none of you hayseeds replied with a link like this." JLC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiCafLZYuI

----------------

Hey! I recognize that sound! <grin!>

Art
oh no....decath has joined the fad of the week....name change...he can never co back...

t

I actually changed it a couple of weeks ago but I have not been posting much. I still sign as 'decath' sometimes and forget I changed it. I had 'decath' for almost 12 years.

decath
"I actually changed it a couple of weeks ago but I have not been posting much. I still sign as 'decath' sometimes and forget I changed it. I had 'decath' for almost 12 years."

When everyone was changing to Lord and King and Galactic Commander, I was tempted but checked the 'rulz' and found you could never go back and only change 3 times.......

so I didn't go to LordTelegraph or KingTelegraph or Galactic Commander.....

glad I didn't.

Have had 'tele' ever since I joined up years and years ago.

heck, what would folks say ? You've be LordTele'd? that just doesn't 'sound right'.

t.

heck, what would folks say ? You've be LordTele'd? that just doesn't 'sound right'.

t.

Ya, if you changed your name, we'd have to change the RECF faqs.

Changing my name does't hurt nothing. Just a lowly FI wannabe peasant. <g>

Metal
heck, what would folks say ? You've be LordTele'd? that just doesn't 'sound right'

No, but being Royally Tele'd has a certain je ne sais quoi.

JLC
I'm sure there's a way to deal with it. Where I worked, they just fired all of the secretaries, and the professionals had to do their own clerical work. :)

That's pretty much what they did in the mid-1990s at the phone company where I worked. They figured it was cheaper to provide each staff member their own desktop PC than to keep paying for a five-person typing pool in each department. I was clerical at the time. They called us clerks into a room sometime around February and told us our jobs would be gone by June 1 at the latest.

Lucky for me, I got a promotion to management and that's when I moved to Chicago. My clerical coworkers ended up transferring to operator jobs and stuff like that.