No. of Recommendations: 0
How did you come to choose between SCON and ISCO? A friend of mine is in on ISCO. I am undecided as to which is the superior investment.

I like SCON because their SuperFilter product is compact and they use the Stirling method of cooling which uses helium and requires no maintenance. ISCO and CDTS use a Nitrous gas system that requires maintenance to replace oil.

I also chose ISCO because they use thick-film technology vs. thin filter which is used by both SCON and CDTS. I'm investing in the differentiation until I understand the significance of it all.

I don't have a position in CDTS but I'm watching it carefully.

I also own AMSC which is mentioned in the Power report at Gildertech. They have 170 patents on superconducting technology.

Personally, I like SCON the best. I just have a gut feeling that they have the feature set that the Japanese, who are building the next generation wireless, will find the most attractive.

Whoever wins in the Japanese market will have a advantage.

I just wish I knew who was handling their Japanese sales effort. If they had someone like Stephen Nicol at Puma, http://www.pumatech.com/profile-manage.html, then I'd put all my money into SCON.

They are also very strong technically, SCON has a Nobel Prize recipient on their board.

J. Robert Schrieffer,Ph.D., founded the Technical Advisory Board of the Company in August 1987 and has served as its Chairman since that time. He has also served on the Board of Directors of the Company since October 1988. He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1972 for work in superconductivity theory, and he has received many other professional honors including the National Medal of Science. Dr. Schrieffer is a Past President of the American Physical Society. He is also the University Eminent Scholar of the State of Florida University System and has been the Chief Scientist of the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory since January 1992. Dr. Schrieffer was Chancellor's Professor of Physics and Director of the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara from 1980 to 1991. Dr. Schrieffer serves on a number of government and industrial committees and is a Fellow of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, heading its Advanced Study Program in High Temperature Superconductivity Theory from 1988 to 1993. Dr. Schrieffer received his Ph.D. and M.S. in physics from the University of Illinois and his B.S. in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I was an undergrad at UCSB while he was there. This stuff makes me almost wish I took more physics classes while I was there.

It's interesting to note that Materials Science is also a key field in superconducting. I studied computer science, but got work in the Materials Science department writing educational software. The Materials Science and Superconducting groups had the best budgets at the time. I worked for two high profile professors who had come from U. of Illinois to build the Materials Science program at Santa Barbara. It makes a lot of sense that two of the leading Superconductor companies are located in Illinois and Santa Barbara.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.