Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since cost basis is being reported to IRS on a 1099-B for bonds I sold, and I don't agree with the cost basis, I'm wondering what to do. It's going to be an $86 difference in reportable income.

I bought bonds in 2012. I paid $4935.95 for the bonds and commissions, and $86.84 in accrued interest, for a total of $5,022.79.

I sold the bonds in 2013. The 1099-B from the broker says cost basis is only $4935.95.

In the 2012 tax statement I got from the broker, there is a section in the back called Accrued Interest Paid on Purchases. In it is the $86.84 I paid when I bought the bonds.

So, what do I do with this number for 2013 taxes? Can I just add it to the cost basis, or subtract it from what I report from the 1099-INT? Is it something I should have put on my 2012 taxes?

Did the broker screw up?
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.