Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
How do I Know if there has been a stock splt?

All of the suggestions on keeping good records are great--that is very important, both at tax time and
just to keep up with progress on each stock. But,
keep this in mind for future reference--there are brokerage firms that will send you an itemized list of all of your sales for each year, with each tax lot already calculated as to gain or loss. (Also available for the current year so you can keep track quarterly or mid-year, or whatever. You just have to ask.)

You might want to inquire of your brokerage if this service is available. It saves a huge amount of time
and effort.

Also, there are some firms that have an agreement with Quicken so you can download your activity directly to Quicken. (Check the Quicken website.)

P.S. This is my first post, so if you don't like something, give me a break!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.