Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
How do I report the $400 in earnings? Do I report it as a capital gain (ie treat like I received 1099-div or a 1099-b)Or do I report it as a income and enter it as a 1099-R

Phil got that one for you. Again using your example numbers, you would report a total withdrawal of $2400, with $400 of it taxable.

Also am aware of the option to recharacterize to trad IRA but what I have is a rollover IRA and keeping track of it will be a bit much I think.

You would have to keep track of the non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA. You could simplify the investment tracking by transferring the recharachterized money to your current traditional IRA custodian. There would be no reason to keep it separate, unless you need to do so for investment reasons.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.