Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello I am a new Fool (have been reading TMF for the past 8 months but this is my first post) I am 42 yrs old, recently changed jobs,(wife works and has her own 401K),have a pention plan at work but would like to set up a self-directed Roth IRA.

I will have saved about $1500.00 by 11/31/98 (Our household meets all Roth IRA income Guidelines) I have seen ads from discount brokers for IRA Accts but none mention Roth IRA's by name so I have been concerned about just opening an Account thru an ad.

I have read "You have more than you think" and "the Motley Fool Investment Guide" and the books talk about setting up an account but I can only afford to set up one account this year so How do I go about setting up a self directed Roth IRA for stock investing??
Print the post Back To Top
Check out the Brokers section of the Fool Home page and start visiting the various brokers. Try Souveriegn's MyDiscountBroker.com for a no fee Roth IRA.
Mark, you asked:

Hello I am a new Fool (have been reading TMF for the past 8 months but this is my first post) I am 42 yrs old, recently changed jobs,(wife works and has her own 401K),have a pention plan at work but would like to set up a self-directed Roth IRA.

I will have saved about $1500.00 by 11/31/98 (Our household meets all Roth IRA income Guidelines) I have seen ads from discount brokers for IRA Accts but none mention Roth IRA's by name so I have been concerned about just opening an Account thru an ad.

I have read "You have more than you think" and "the Motley Fool Investment Guide" and the books talk about setting up an account but I can only afford to set up one account this year so How do I go about setting up a self directed Roth IRA for stock investing??

Virtually any broker will help you establish a self-directed IRA, be that a traditional or Roth IRA. If the broker offers an IRA, be assured it will offer both types. Your biggest trick will be to find a broker you will be comfortable with both in terms of cost and administration. Do seek out the excellent pointers on finding one in TMF's broker area. You'll find it at: http://www.fool.com/media/DiscountBrokerageCenter/DiscountBrokerageCenter.htm

Regards…..Pixy