Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I've wondered about this. I see many on here and elsewhere who claim to be "busier than ever", or otherwise lead "exciting lives. But does everyone?

We retired over 15 years ago (partially because we had to) and remain very happy to be living quiet lives here on several acres, in our own home, on a ridge in Vermont. We putter, read, watch TV, belong to a church, and sometimes see friends and family. However, for the most part, we just plain goof off. I dally on the internet and my ham radio, too.

What do all of you do in retirement? Care to share?

We both feel strongly that retirees ought to do what THEY like to do (within financial or physical limits, of course) -- not what "everyone else" says they "should" do.

What say? What do YOU do?

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
That's about all I've ever done in retirement. Pretty much used the model of "my day off" when I was working. The major difference in retirement is I don't have to do any of those routine chores that you are forced to do on your day-off because you can't ever get to it on a work day. I just do those things tomorrow. It's been working out very well.
No. of Recommendations: 4
We volunteer several days a week at a local food bank. It gives some social interaction and a chance to build friendships, and we are giving back to the community.
No. of Recommendations: 4
What do all of you do in retirement?

- Golf on Monday, Thursday & Friday.
- Marshal at a golf course on Tuesday.
- Use to volunteer at a hospital driving a golf cart on Wednesdays but had to stop due to COVID. The hospital didn't want all those bodies in one golf cart.
- Had to give up the gym due to COVID. Took forever to get them to stop charging my charge card.
- Bought a treadmill to get around the loss of the gym. Also started using an exercise app on the iPhone to replace the gym.
- Mass on Saturday evenings.
- Amateur Radio working DX and contests.
- Travel to Florida visiting grandkids.
- Keeping up with the Motley Fool.
- Grocery shopping with the boss is OK but just shopping to be shopping drives me nuts.
- Part-time Sous Chef. Very proficient at taking the trash out and washing dishes for loading into dishwasher.
- Had Texans season tickets for about 17 years but finally gave them up several years ago. Use to love tailgating. Everyone would bring the "old" couple samples of their food. We had been cooking our own all morning along with cold Miller Lites. Found it's much easier watching the Texans on TV. Unfortunately the Texans suck.
- Subscribe to NetFlix and Amazon Prime so plenty of movies to watch. Unfortunately it seems every NetFlix show we watch the boss says we already watched it. Wish NetFlix could put the already watched movies in another pile.
- Other than that not much going on here.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)
No. of Recommendations: 1
What say? What do YOU do?

Pickleball Baby! And hike, and kayak. Invest. Read. Cook. Not clean. Work on projects around the house. Some day, travel... Mostly, hang with best friend, aka DH.

IP,
not so much caring what we do, but that we do it together
No. of Recommendations: 5
Well, pre-COVID retirement was much different than the past (nearly) couple of years.

Pre-COVID, I continued my pro bono work as exec director of a Detroit nonprofit that held weekly meetings of folks who regularly came to 3 Detroit soup kitchens and developed their ability to work together to advance their shared interests. We identify policies that trap them in poverty and then, working together, devise and implement plans to change those policies. Perhaps the most significant policies we changed, statewide, were ones that made it virtually impossible for thousands of native-born Michigan residents to secure a state ID card. We've also taken more than 3,000 people to the Sect. of State office to get their IDs, successfully.

We changed policies that prevented ex-offenders from getting hired, even if their records were for fairly minor offenses committed decades ago. We also got operators of homeless shelters to clean up their acts, stop abusing their residents, and provide the services they were getting paid (by gov't and charities) to provide. We exposed and changed unjust city tax-foreclosure policies. Stuff like that. This all came to a screeching halt when the soup kitchens changed to take-out only, which prevented us from holding meetings in the kitchens. It has yet to restart fully but will soon, I hope.

I also continue to do research and write articles for publication on urban policy, mostly because I had projects still in the pipeline when I retired, and I wanted to see them to conclusion. I finished the last manuscript earlier this year, and it's almost through the peer review process. I may (or may not) write a book about the scholarly and practical work I've been doing in Detroit over the past 15 years or so. We'll see.

At age 72 (almost 73), I'm still active outdoors. I run and bike regularly, and when we're in Hawaii, where we spend about half the year, I'm a member of a competitive outrigger canoe paddling team and also put in some decent mileage in open-water swims.

I'm handy around the house and generally prefer to do chores that most folks would pay someone else to do. Partly, I like to learn how to do stuff, and partly I enjoy working with my hands.

Pre-COVID, DW and I traveled extensively, in the US and internationally. That got shut down completely for more than a year. But this year we managed a round trip to Hawaii, one to Oregon (to visit DD and her family), and just returned from a week in Italy. We leave again for Hawaii in about a week (deo volente).

Finally, I manage our finances, read three or four newspapers daily as well as lots of books, and hang out with you guys here in TMF.
Been Retired 4 1/2 years

my list includes:

city plan commission secretary
Technical Revue Committee for the city
City BZA Alternate
secretary for the local Industrial Development Company...
Board member for an office building that houses many of the local non profit groups
Liason to the County Plan Commission
Assistant Softball Coach ( Pitching Coach ) for the area Community College
local Amateur Radio Club Tech License
Guest Co-Host for the local radio stations morning show and occasional color guy for the local High School Baseball Games
No. of Recommendations: 3
What do all of you do in retirement? Care to share?

I'm only recently retired.

My daily routine so far is to drop off the 9 year old at school, head out to the ski resort for a couple of hours, meet a friend for lunch, take an afternoon yoga class, then head home to walk the dog. Pick up child after school, then help with any house chores or fix dinner. Read a book, surf the internet, or play Scrabble with my wife after dinner.

Don't know what I'll do after ski season, but I've got a few months to figure it out. More bike riding and house renovations probably. Planning on getting an e-bike so I can spend more time biking in Grand Teton National Park. We have a great pathways system here.

And I promised to take the 11 year old on a road trip this summer. So far it looks like a couple of weeks to San Francisco and back.

Tim
not bored yet
No. of Recommendations: 3
MisterFungi:

You have a lot of pep -- a lot more than I/we do! Good for you to help some folks who need assistance.

I don't have all that energy, but I love hearing about folks like you (and others who posted) who are doing good works, rather than hurting others.

I wish we could read or hear more in the news about those of you doing good, instead of so much crap about rapes, murders, and such.

Keep it up.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 0
ImAGolfer:

Were you active in the recent SS or CQWW Dx test? Just wondered. I got in a bit on c.w., but hate the phone contests. Also, not as much of a hot shot as I once was, but love handing out "VT" to those who need our section or state!

Vermonter
Were you active in the recent SS or CQWW Dx test? Just wondered. I got in a bit on c.w., but hate the phone contests. Also, not as much of a hot shot as I once was, but love handing out "VT" to those who need our section or state!

Hi Vermonter. I worked the CQWW DX contest as single operator 15 meters CW only. Like you I hate phone contests. I never can seem to tune the other station in properly. The other issue I have is my South Galveston drawl. By the time I get my call out the other station has worked two other stations so SSB is not my cup of tea. Having said that I did get on during the CQWW DX SSB contest and had 245 contacts with a final raw score of 64,032. During the CW contest over the Thanksgiving weekend I had 283 contacts and a raw score of 70,136. I had to fit in Mass on Saturday night and a Texans game on Sunday afternoon so I didn't have that much "butt in chair" time. I don't know if you experienced it or not but Sunday from about 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm local right at the end of the contest I had one of the best runs on Japan that I've ever experienced. I worked 36 Japanese stations and they were loud.

I tend to shy saw from Sweepstakes so I didn't enter phone or CW besides Texas is not exactly a rare state .... grin.

ImAGolfer
The other issue I have is my South Galveston drawl.

My Uncle Paul flew his BOI flag proudly until he passed a couple of years ago at the age of 92. My Mom was born in Dickinson, to her dismay. And then she moved further inland, so I can only claim Houston.

Tim
who lives about as far inland as one can
My Uncle Paul flew his BOI flag proudly until he passed a couple of years ago at the age of 92. My Mom was born in Dickinson, to her dismay. And then she moved further inland, so I can only claim Houston.

Hi Tim. We've lived in Houston for 51 years now but both my wife and I were born and grew up in Galveston. Galveston is a good place to be from but not to live in. To my knowledge the only employment is at the shipyard, longshoring, insurance, hospital or municipal work. That's what led me to Houston after I got out of the service.

We were in Galveston about a year ago and visited the Strand (a tourist street with all the gift shops). We were interested in BOI t-shirts. I couldn't believe the folks running the shop. They didn't know what I was talking about much less why it was such a big deal that we were both BOI. Yuppies I guess.

Wyoming is pretty far but I have a sister that lives in Seattle. Now Seattle is a pretty long haul from Galveston.

Regards,

ImAGolfer